♦ A Soft Laugh ♦

Chapter 7

"Where is your mate?" Tristan takes a seat in my office chair as I sort out documents.

"In my room."

"That's it?" I glare at my beta. "You found your mate! That's huge Vadik! You should be jumping for joy."

"She's not human, nor is she one of us."

"I thought that was pretty obvious. But that shouldn't change anything."

"And it doesn't. It just complicates a few things."

"Like?"

I sigh and finally look him in the eyes, "she doesn't feel our mate bond." I can tell he's about to ask why not, "I don't know why she can't. She's cold and her heart doesn't beat."

"Did she tell you what she is?"

"All she said is she is a creature of the sea." I recite.

"So a mermaid? Do you think she's one of the ones that attacked the humans working on the ships?"

"That thought crossed my mind but we won't know for sure unless we ask her."

"When will you?"

"After a pack meeting. I need to tell them about her."

"Alright I'll call for the meeting if you haven't already."

"I haven't so call it for noon." That way I have an hour to finish paperwork.

"Yes sir," I hear Tristan's voice echo through the mind link as well as the responses from my pack members. "When are you going back to your office in the city?"

"Monday of next week. Jed has the work and management under control. I only need to go because I have an important meeting with a foreign client." I glance at Tristan and he seems to want something. "Why do you ask?"

"It's just we only go to the city when we visit your office..." I laugh at his obvious discomfort.

"Get on with it Tristan."

"There's this girl I want to take out and she works at the office."

"You can leave whenever you want Tristan. You do know that? You just need to tell me before you do."

"No, I'm your beta. My job is to be by your side at all times."

"Tristan, you're free to do whatever you want. Our pack has no threats at the moment. It's peaceful."

"Still, we can't put our guards down-"

"And we're not. Let me ask you though, is she your mate?"

He frowns, "no she isn't. I kind of gave up on finding her."

"Don't. She'll appear one day, take my word for it." I tell him as a flash of my mate's face goes through my mind. She's the most beautiful creature I have ever seen. No one compares to her.

I leave with Tristan to the meeting room which is just another way of saying the living room. It's the only room big enough to fit everyone. The children are already  sitting on the floor when we arrive. The teens are behind them, lounging on the couches or standing. The adults stand around the room and the warriors are waiting for my announcement. My parents and Selena aren't here which only means they're out together.

"Hello everyone, this was sudden but I've found my mate. She is the girl I brought back with me-"

"Alpha! Does that mean Selena isn't gonna boss us around anymore?" One of the children ask excitedly. I let out an unexpected laugh and everyone's smiles grow.

"No she is not. When she comes back I will end things with her. I expect everyone to treat my mate with the utmost respect. She is your future Luna."

"Yes Alpha!"

"One question if I may..." one of the mothers speaks up, "is your mate human?"

"She didn't smell human, or like one of us," someone else comments.

"I am not completely sure what she is but I have an idea. Regardless of what she is or who, respect her with the same respect you have for me."

Yes alphas' echo throughout the room and I dismiss them right after that.

I signal Tristan to leave with me and we both make our way up to my living space.

"Why are the lights off?" I listen for any sound and hear nothing. "Don't tell me she left..."

I run to the bedroom and my racing heart calms when I see the bathroom lights on. Walking into the room, my mate is laying in the bathtub completely submerged underwater. On instinct I run to her and I lift her head above the water. Her eyes widen at my rough action.

"You scared me." I breathe out. She looks at me with big blue eyes that shift to a darker hue.

"Why?" Her voice reaching my ears, my wolf purring in my head. Her voice is like silk, soft and pleasant to hear.

"Oh good you found her." I growl and turn my head to look at Tristan.

He raises his hands up in defeat and he turns around, "my bad, I didn't see anything."

"You said before you were a creature of the sea. What exactly do you mean?"

"The child I helped, called me a mermaid."

Does she mean Louis?

"Are you one?"

"Do you think I am one?"

"No I don't."

"Why is that?"

"You're in water but you don't have a tail. Call me naive but that's what a mermaid would have."

She unexpectedly lets out a soft laugh. So simple yet it sends my whole being into a state of bliss. I notice her shock from that as she touches her throat with her fingers.

"I will be going back soon." My heart hammers against my chest at those words.

"Back?"

"To the water." She points to the balcony from the bath tub. What you see from there is the beach and the ocean.

"I can't let you go back." I tell her truthfully. She furrows her brows in confusion at my declaration.

I stand up from where I was, by her side, and I walk out.

"Vadik where are you going?" Tristan follows behind me.

"Don't let her leave, stay here with her and make sure she is clothed."

"Okay but you didn't answer my question."

I can't let her leave. I've finally found her, losing her is not an option.

I'll do whatever it takes to keep her here.

.
.
.
.
y'all know how Alpha's get when it comes to their mates. What do you think? What will he do??? Will he find out about the name thing?

Ahhhh I'm excited for the next chapter and I'm the one writing the damn story haha.

Also this new tv series called Siren just aired recently and well it totally killed my vibe for this story. It's great so far but a lot of things are really similar to this story so that's kind of a buzzkill. Similar because chapters that I haven't uploaded for this story have similarities to the tv show. I'm changing that though. That's why updates have been slow. Had to change things in this chapter. But some things are inevitable for example; how our girl was still in her human form in the bathtub. That's because she can change at her own will. But well whatevaaaa lol

If you've read till here I freaking love you and have a great day!