♦Soul ♦

Chapter 8

"Hey sorry I need you to get out of the bathtub." I furrow my brows at his avoidance to look at me.

"Why must I?"

"Alpha's orders." He holds out a cloth for me. The longer I am in this form, the less my legs feel like those of an infants. Which is why I am able to stand and step out of the tub. Tristan looks away and helps me place the cloth around my body.

"How do you know how to speak our language?" I hear him ask from behind me as I make my way to the other room.

"One will always know the language they spoke before becoming one with the sea."

"Before that happened, were you human?"

"Yes."

Tristan looks through cabinets in the room and takes out articles of clothing. "You can wear these. The sweats have a string to tighten them." I raise an eyebrow but take the clothes.

"I heard you tell the Alpha you're leaving. Why?"

"I must go."

"Why?"

"I laughed."

"What does that have to do with leaving?"

"Cannot stay for too long. I start to feel."

I do not want to feel

I've long since lost the ability to feel. To have emotions. All of that was locked away along with my most horrifying memories. I've completely shut it all out to the extent that I do not remember how I became what I am. Only that one moment, I simply was.

If I begin to feel, my memories will resurface.

"Is that really so bad?" He asks with his back turned to me. I begin to put on the clothing because I imagine that is why he turned away.

"Yes." The pants he gave me fall down and stop around my hip bone. I take the string and tie it.

"You shouldn't go. Vadik won't take it well."

"Because I am his mate?"

"Yes exactly."

"What does that mean?" I take a seat on the bed, my legs shaking from so much use.

"It means you two are soulmates. When two bonded souls find each other, you won't be able to be apart, it'll kill you."

"Why is that?"

"It's just the way it is."

"I do not understand that logic. What is in existence has a purpose. A reason for being. It cannot be just that."

"True. But somethings we just don't know the reason for. It's always been that way and it won't change. It'll exist after us, as it has been. Since the beginning of our history."

I feel a wind from the balcony and I bask in the smell of sea water. "Will you take me to the sea? Or will I have to force my way out."

"If I take you, if you go, will you come back?"

Vadik's face appears in my mind. His sharp bone structure and those red eyes filled with power. His warm skin. The urge to want to see more of him, to be with him, has grown tremendously. These feelings I am beginning to feel are too much already, and I have only been on land for a short day. I cannot continue on like this.

"No, I will not."

"Then I can't let you leave. Alpha's orders." HIs body puffs up, almost like a puffer fish, but he does not do that as a defense mechanism. He does it to intimidate me, to scare me from leaving.

"I understand."

"So... you're not going to leave? Wait why are you looking at me as if you feel sorry for me?" I feel him put up his guard. I watch as he takes a step away from me.

"No, I am. I am looking at you the way I am because I do not want to hurt you. But because you will not let me leave... I will have to." With just a simple swing of my arm, I have Tristan flying towards a wall. He winces as his back hits the hard surface. I can almost feel his pain and as I am now, it hurts my soul to hurt him. My soul...

I wasn't sure if I still had a soul, until this moment.

"I am going to keep you against that wall until I reach the ocean. Do not try to fight my hold, you will only hurt yourself." I warn him. He doesn't say a word, only stares at my retrieving figure.

My legs begin to walk faster and faster. Until I was almost tripping over my feet as I was running away.

The ones in the house did not stop me. They only watched as I ran. This feeling is so similar.

"Mermaid wait!" My legs stopped before I realized it. The boy I had helped ran to me, stopping in front of me. "Where you going?"

"To the sea."

"Your home? To the bad mermaids?"

"Yes." I hesitantly pat the top of his head. He is no longer afraid of me, "you are not scared...?"

"Me? Um... no, in the water you're scary but you're pretty when you're not... you know, in the water." He rubs the back of his neck and fiddles with his free hand.

I smile down at him, "I am going now-"

"No." I look up and see Vadik walking towards us. Louis turns around and bows.

"Yes Vadik." I don't understand why I feel so much sadness.

"I know you want to go home," he touches my cheekbone and my skin crawls in a very pleasant way.

"But I can't let you do that... I'm giving you a name."

-

Dun dunnnnn

What do you think he will name her?