Chapter Three

I shut the shop door before shoving the keys in my pocket and heading towards my bike. Placing my helmet on my head, I look both ways before speeding home. Checking the time, it reads 6:45, and I let out a breath of relief. Okay I still have time. I walk up to the top floor, where my studio apartment is, and as soon as I open the door, I throw my belongings on the couch and start on dinner. Grabbing two chicken breasts from the fridge, I preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next I rub salt, pepper, and thyme on the chicken breast's and set them on a pan to be baked. I peel potatoes, slice them into small chunks, drizzle olive oil on them, and then add some salt and pepper for taste.

The beeping goes off on the oven and I set them in the oven for fifteen minutes to start off. Heading to my bedroom I change into black leggings, a black sports bra, a black tee, and a thin black zip up jacket over top. I grab long blonde wig at the bottom of my drawers before fastening it on my head, which doesn't take long because I have had a lot of practice. I was thinking about wearing a black wig, but it would not match my light ginger eyebrows, so I decided for a blonde wig instead, to make it a little more believable that it's my 'real' hair.

I put my hair into a ponytail, making sure you can't see any of my red hair. Checking on the chicken, I cut into the breast and see it is almost done. Adding another 5-10 minutes, I use that time to grab a plates and get my drink. Soon after, I finish eating the juicy chicken, which is delicious and very flavorful. I set the plate and silverware in the sink before heading down to my bike.

I speed off, excitement running through my veins for where I was going is my home at night. A slight smile appears on my lips as I'm almost to my destination. The loud booming from the night club reaches my ears and I cringe. I hate that noise. I park my bike in the back, where a huge bulky guy stands in front of the door, his arms crossed, with black shades on. I roll my eyes, tough guys. I walk up to him, and a large smile graces his face.

"Benny!" I yell, and his arms open for a large bear hug.

"How are you blondie?" I give him the 'okay' sign with my hand, and he nods before letting me in. Benny knows my real identity, because one time my wig came off with my helmet. Thankfully he's the only one who saw me. I head down the dimly-lit stairs, as they take me under the night club. As I reached the bottom, two more bulky men saw me, and let me past, because they know who I am.

I reach a small door that is locked, and I am one of the only people to have the key. I unlock it, then shut it before turning on the lights, which illuminate the dark space. Throwing my helmet and belongings on the small vanity in the corner, I head to the center of the room which has a small black mat on it. Starting with my arms, I stretch because I'm not a idiot like the ones out there, who don't stretch before a fight. It is silent, which I enjoy, it helps me focus before I go in the ring. They sound-proofed the arena and rooms years ago, because partiers would hear the noise and come down, which was not good if they saw an illegal underground fight and told someone.

A knock sounds on my door, the noise echoing in the silent room. I start walking towards the door to see it is, but only after I check my wig to make sure I am not Thea Grey, I am The Canary. I open the door to see a big chest, my eyes move up and realize it's Benny.

"You're up in fifteen Scar." I nod and close the door. Benny calls me by my middle name, Scarlett, and used a nickname because he doesn't want anyone to find out my identity, but he also didn't want to keep calling me 'The Canary'.

I grab a reusable water bottle along with three plastic ones. Tucking them under my arm and grabbing my keys, I head out to watch the fights before me. Exiting my room, Benny waits for me to escort me to the fight.

"You don't need to escort me, I can take care of myself," I say with a small laugh. He smiles because he knows I'm right, but he still does it every fight. So protective of me, just like Carter. I wish I didn't have to hide my life from the ones I love but it's for their safety. Carter is the only one in my family who knows that I know how to seriously fight, and have fought for money. I focus on the arena, intently watching my opponents fighting techniques and moves so I know how to fight them.

There is two big bulky men, both very arrogant, which you can tell by their domineer, their fighting techniques, and stances. They are sloppy, but strong. I use agility and smart techniques against my opponents, even though I am stronger than I look. Smirks are permanently residing on these men's faces as they circle each other and throw punches at the other.

Finally, a sickening crack sounds in the arena, and one of the men is down, unconscious. The announcer holds up the others arm before yelling.

"And the winner is Death Stroke!" Cheers erupt, boosting the winners ego. I roll my eyes, and Benny laughs at me, knowing exactly what I'm thinking. His ego is probably the size of Cindy Crawford's Malibu home. I let out a laugh at my own thoughts, which I receive some weird glances from people. The man who won, sends me a piercing glare with his lips in a flat line.

"What are you laughing at blondie? Do you think my win was unfair? I bet you couldn't beat me if you tried." Benny started laughing quietly, the nerve of this guy.

"I was not laughing at your win, if that's what you want to call it, but I sure should have been. You're a very unskilled fighter," his eyes turn livid as he looks at me. He turns to the announcer and the announcer nods.

"We have a challenge. Death stroke against The Canary!" The man obviously has no idea who I am, but many people in the crowd gasp as they hear my name. I walk up to the arena, my face void of emotions. He stands cockily in the corner, his arms crossed. I set my water down after I take a drink and stand firmly in the corner. The announcers loud voice booms through the speakers.

"The Canary versus Death Stroke. Begin fighting!" He runs out of the arena, watching from the side lines. Death Stroke has a cocky smile on his face as he walks around me. He charges and I swiftly move out of the way, kicking the back of his knee as he passes me. He stumbles but does not fall. His eyes are livid and his veins are popping out of his neck and head. Gross. He charges again, his fist raised, which I swiftly catch in mine, twisting his wrist until I hear a 'snap', which I then twist his arm behind his back, and kick his lower spine, making him arch his back and yell in pain.

I let go and move to the other side of the ring, watching him get up and grab his wrist before turning towards me, infuriated.

"Tsk, tsk, never let emotions cloud your judgement, Death Stroke," I spit out his name like he's dirt underneath my feet, just to infuriate him more, which I find amusing. He growls before trying to get a blow to my stomach with his left hand, which I grab his wrist, and twist upwards towards his head, and flip his massive body, so he lands face down on the hard arena floor.

He pushes himself off the ground, spitting blood, and he glares at me before stepping towards the side, making me take the first move instead of him. I fake a left jab, and take a right upper cut to his jaw, making his head snap back, probably giving him whiplash. I didn't waste time in punching his gut multiple times, making him double over in pain. I ended the fight by doing a roundhouse to his face, making his heavy body fall the ground with a loud 'thud'. I leave my face void of any emotions as I walk up to the announcer and he lifts my hand, yelling I was the winner. He hands me my money, and I nod a 'thank-you' to him before grabbing my water, and chugging the bottles down. I step of the arena, and head back to my room to grab my stuff to leave. Benny jogs up to me and high fives me before giving me a bone crushing hug.

"Every time I watch you I'm amazed! How do you do it?" I shake my head at his excitement, a smile on my lips. He pats my back as he heads back to his post for the night. I grab my stuff and head home to finally get some sleep.