Shopping for Rocky (Part 1)

The following Thursday afternoon, the doorbell rings and Lincoln goes to answer it. It turns out to be Clyde, which isn't the least bit surprising at this point.

"Hey Clyde, what's up?" Lincoln greeted.

"Earlier today, Lucy asked me to come over so she can show me a new poem she wrote," Clyde replies.

"That's great," Lincoln says, "You think she'll let me listen too? She always shows me her poems."

"I don't see why not," Clyde comments as the two of them head upstairs to Lucy's room.

Since the door is closed, Lincoln lightly knocks on the door. A small "come in" can be heard on the other side, which gave the boys the greenlight that they can go inside.

After the door lightly creaks open, they smile and greet the young goth, "Hi Lucy," Lincoln says.

"Hi Lincoln. Hey Clyde," Lucy answers while holding a piece of paper.

"So Clyde tells me you have a new poem. May I listen too?" Lincoln pleads.

"Of course brother. I'll always let you listen to my poems," Lucy allows, "And I have a feeling that you'll like this one."

The two boys stand in front of Lucy, who holds her poem up so that she could read it.

"I call it 'Here For You'. Ahem...

My darling, I can see you're feeling blue

This feeling of loneliness, that's not the real you

However, I know this is a time

Where shedding tears is not a crime

So cry my darling, let your emotions out

Let me hear your sobs, let your tears wash about

Don't be sad dear, because no matter what

If you ever feel lonely, and stuck in a rut

I'll always be here, to be your guiding light

As long as I'm here, your heart shall shine bright

I care about you, more than you'll ever know

You're my dear, my darling, my beau

Don't forget love, if you feel your world crashing down

Think of me, and you'll smile instead of frown

I adore you, this is definitely true

Heed my advice, it's sure to work for you."

The boys were touched by Lucy's sweet and sentimental poem, especially Lincoln who was so used to hearing dark and morbid poems from his little sister.

"Thanks for showing me Lucy. I really liked it," Clyde compliments.

"Thank you," Lucy says while bowing her head.

"Lucy...that was amazing," Lincoln gasps in astonishment, "Where'd you get the inspiration for that?"

"Glad you asked," Lucy says, "I got the inspiration when I talked to Rocky last night."

She pauses for a brief moment as she places her poem on her bed.

"His grandmother passed away yesterday. And when he called me last night, he talked about her last moments. Then he cried in front of me. So my poem is saying that anytime he needs a shoulder to cry on, I'll be there," Lucy thoroughly explained.

"Wow, you're so sweet," Lincoln compliments, "So I take it you're feeling better."

"Oh I am. I really have Clyde to thank. Without him, I would have just moped around all day," Lucy says.

She turns to Clyde, "Thank you so much."

Lucy was in such a good mood that she decided that saying thank you to Clyde wasn't enough to truly show her gratitude, so she did something rather unexpected: Lucy hugged Clyde.

While the young goth had her arms around Clyde, both he and Lincoln were pretty dumbfounded. Lucy must be really grateful for Clyde helping her out if she's going so far as to hug him. After a few seconds of just standing there in bemusement, Clyde decided to return the hug and wrapped his arms around Lucy.

When Lucy finally released herself from Clyde, she looks at the two of them with a smile, "That reminds me, I have a great idea," She says.

"What is it?" Lincoln wonders.

"When I talked to Rocky last night, I also got the idea to get him a welcome home gift," Lucy explains.

"Ooh, that's nice," Clyde compliments, "What did you have in mind?"

"You'll see. Just come with me to the mall," Lucy says.

"Can I go too?" Lincoln asks.

"Sure you can," Lucy approves.

Lucy grabs her phone, which is resting on the bed, "Before we go, I need to text Rocky something real fast."

She proceeds to do so, which takes about 15 seconds. She concludes her message by whispering "xoxo". Then she puts her phone on her bed.

"Ok let's go."

When the trio of kids arrive at the mall, Lucy quietly leads her brother and his friend to a very special store which is located towards the back of the first floor of the mall.

This particular store was what the Louds describe as the "Catholic store". There are many religious memorabilia in this store, such as statues of religious figures, cards that contain pictures of religious figures and prayers, rosaries, and an item that Lucy was looking for.

"Why are we going in here?" Lincoln wonders. Not that he has a problem with it, he's just curious.

Lucy faces the two boys, "Remember when I said Rocky told me his grandma died? Well after hearing that, I got the idea to give him a scapular," She explains. (A/N: A scapular is an object that is worn around the neck. It contains two pieces of cloth attached to both sides of a string. The pieces of cloth usually contains pictures of religious figures like saints.)

The boys nod in understanding as they follow Lucy inside. The store was incredibly quiet except for the sounds of church music playing over the loudspeakers inside the store; even then, the music was played at a volume that wasn't too loud.

Lucy approached the counter and faced a female employee who wore a sky blue rosary around her neck.

"Excuse me, where do you keep your scapulars?" Lucy asks politely.

The female employee smiles and points towards the back of the store, "They are over there, young lady."

"Thank you," Lucy says as she goes to find a scapular.

While she's gone, the employee turns towards Lincoln and Clyde, "Anything you boys need?" She asks.

"Oh no, ma'am. We're good," Clyde answers in a polite tone.

Lucy finally comes back with a green and white scapular.

She places it on the counter so that the employee can ring it up for her.

"Is that all for you today?" The employee asks.

"Yes ma'am. This is all I needed," Lucy replies.

"Alright, that'll be $2.75."

Lucy reaches into her pocket and pulls out two dollar bills and three quarters, exactly $2.75. After the employee receives the money, she grabs a paper bag and puts the scapular inside.

"Thank you for shopping with us and may the Lord bless and keep you," The employee says as she hands Lucy the paper bag with the scapular in it.

"Thank you," Lucy thanks as she walks out of the store. Lincoln and Clyde silently wave at the store clerk as they follow Lucy out of the store.