Chapter 4

Recap: 

"What did you do to me, witch?" he demanded.

She finally lifted her eyes to his, tears flowing down her face. "You have cursed us both, you fool," she whimpered, then her head crumpled.

----------------------------

"What do you mean I have cursed us? You used your magic! Now what have you done to me?" he pleads, growing more desperate as she remains silent and unsteady on her feet.

"Like I said," she finally grumbles, "it's what you have done. And now I'll never be able to return home!" she howls. His grip loosens and she slips to her knees.

The pirate crouches in front of her, waiting for her to calm. He considers throwing her into a cell, but he dismisses the idea from his thoughts and resolves to let her explain. At long last, she sniffs, dries her eyes, and brings her head up, meeting his eyes. After drawing a shaky breath, she begins her tale.

"I am not simply a woman. I am a mermaid." His eyes grow wide at the notion, glancing at her legs. "I have legs on land, sir. My eyes are here. Now pay attention," she draws her fingers over her eyes, smiling slightly.

He returns her smile, "My apologies, lass. Please go on," he pleads, his Scottish accent more prevalent as he speaks softer than earlier.

"Every mermaid must go through three curses in their lifetime to find their soulmate. The curses bond the mermaid to a human that touches our mark. We are born with it, but you might call it a tattoo," she brings her right hand to it, sighing as she observes it. Two chestnut bands lining the swirls wrapped around the middle of her upper arm. As she turns her arm, the man's eyes are drawn to the small heart on the side, formed where the spirals join together. The silence grows, then she relaxes her arm and regains her composure, clearing her throat.

"Anyway, each curse lasts a year. The remaining time is displayed on the mermaid's forearm," she turns her right arm to reveal black symbols below her wrist. "These are mermaid runes. The first curse has a bond that compels the human teach the mermaid. To be specific, how to appear human so we may blend in for the other curses. The second curse causes our marks to pull us towards our soulmate. The human we are bound to is coerced to protect the mermaid as she searches.

"The third," she chokes up for a moment. "The third is supposed to be with our soul mate. We get to know the person better through the duration of the curse. The third bond pulls the human to the mermaid. And, if the pair shares true love's kiss before the year is up, the mermaid receives her full powers."

The man nods, then he inquires, "What happens if they don't?"

Her eyes tear up again, "The mermaid becomes human, the curse strips of her magic and all other mermaids shun her. The mark changes shape to show she has failed, and she spends the rest of her life in exile. It seems fate wishes this upon me." Her eyes lock onto his and he sees the misery in them, "This is my third curse and you are definitely not my soul mate."