Chapter 34

Recap:

He steps towards the mermaid slowly, trying to give her time in case she changes her mind. But he reaches the side of the bed without her expression changing in the slightest. She gives him a small nod and he pulls his boots off and lies beside her, nearly on the edge to leave some space between them. She tugs on his shoulder so he rolls onto his back. She places her head on his chest and lets out a yawn.

"Goodnight, Killian," she murmurs, her eyes fluttering shut as the exhaustion and alcohol pull her to sleep.

"Goodnight, love," he answers, brushing back the hair that fell on her face before closing his eyes and trying to drift off too.

----------------------------

Killian had trouble falling asleep that night. Usually, after a night of celebrations, he was out before his head hit the pillow. But it was different last night. He was completely shocked at the mermaid's request, as well as how quickly she settled in for the night with her head resting on his chest. It was so out of character for the woman.

The first night she stayed on the ship, she didn't sleep at all. She had laid on the bed Killian insisted that she use but watched the captain with a careful eye all night. She was still awake when the captain woke up the next day. But last night, she had drifted off within minutes of laying down beside the pirate. That told the pirate a lot more than any words the mermaid had ever spoken to him.

He looked down at the sleeping girl that was still holding him close. He had woken up first from the sunlight that poked through the small gaps in the curtains that hadn't been closed last night. He debated peeling her off of him so he could leave before she woke up, but he didn't want to move her. She looked so different when she was sleeping, it fascinated him.

When she was awake, she always seemed to have an expression of mischief that she must have acquired from her time with the Lost Boys. She also acted much older than she appeared, having the wisdom of someone beyond her years. Of course, she was older than she looked, the magic of Neverland has that effect. But now, the captain took in her softened expression and noticed how young she looked compared to her normal self. The slight worry that always lived in her eyes was gone, there was even the tiniest smile on her lips. She looked at peace. Happy, even.

The captain's heart ached for her. She had gone through so much. She was on the brink of losing everything and he wished she could always be this carefree. He knew what it was like to lose something so important. He had lost his brother, his love, and he had lost himself, trying to drown himself in rum and women. He could barely remember why he started drinking so much all those years ago. He chuckled to himself as he wondered if maybe they could heal each other.

The mermaid stirred as the captain's chest rumbled under her head from his laughter. "What's so funny this early in the morning?" she yawned.

"It's not that early, lass. The sun has been up for a while now," he corrects as he gently pulls away from her to get out of the bed.

"Ugh, my head says it's pretty early," she groaned into the pillow.

Killian lets out a hearty laugh at her actions. "What's wrong, lass? Too much celebrating last night? And to think, you didn't want to do anything but mess with the necklace!"

She sat upright when she heard the last word. "The necklace! We have it now. I need to use it to figure out if we are soul mates or not! Where is it?" she demands as she rushes to get herself straightened out and presentable.

The captain places his hands on her shoulders to calm her. "Hey, it's alright, lass. We have plenty of time. Relax. There's no need to rush. You go get ready and I'll meet you in the mess hall when you're done. We'll get some breakfast and then you can figure out how to make the necklace work. You won't be able to focus on an empty stomach and half-awake."

She pauses but then nods in agreement when her stomach growls. "You're right. I could use some food and a clean clothes. I'll be down in a few minutes."

She turns away to go to her bag. Killian pulls on his jacket and smiles to himself as he glances at the excited mermaid one last time before closing the cabin's door behind him and going to the mess hall.

----------------------------

Sirena had several outfits that she cycled through. But as she dug through her bag, the dress she wore when she first met the captain caught her eye. A smile found its way to her lips and she got dressed quickly. She had always loved the combination of teal blue and black. It reminded her of the sea, the colors of the shallows near beaches and the darkness of a stormy ocean.

She rushed to the mess hall, her stomach begging her for some food. When she pushed the door open, the captain's breath caught in his chest. He recognized the dress she was wearing, a wave of nostalgia rushing over him. At the same time, she looked completely different from that day, although he couldn't decipher why. Maybe it wasn't her that had changed, but instead how he saw her. He had to admit to himself that the pull he felt had increased the longer she had been on the ship, but he was unsure how much was from the curse and how much was from something else.