Chapter 38

Recap:

"I would never want you to leave." Her face brightens at his words. "I can't promise you anything grand, but you will always be welcome to join me for whatever adventures the Jolly Roger takes us on." He takes her hands in his. "I care too much for you to ever want to see you leave, though, lass. So don't ever think that you are not wanted here."

"I think I love you, Killian," she blurts out suddenly, immediately blushing from her outburst.

He chuckles, "I think I love you, too, Sirena." He puts his hand to her cheek and gently pulls her into a sweet kiss. She smiles into the kiss and pulls him closer. The couple's hearts leap in joy.

----------------------------

Their next adventure came sooner than they had expected. After a night of celebration and joy on the ship, Killian woke up alone. He didn't think much of it, assuming Sirena had gone to get breakfast. But when he got to the main deck to look for her, he heard the fighting from the crew.

"This is all ye fault! Ye was supposed to be on watch last night!"

"Don't blame me for this! He must've used magic on us. I didn't even drink so I'd stay up for first watch. And anyway, no one came for second watch, so I wasn't the only one sleepin'!" the man answered.

"Enough! What's this all about?" the captain demanded, silencing the men who hung their heads in shame and sorrow.

"'Ere, Cap'n," Smee said as he handed him a piece of parchment. "That was on the mast when we woke up. Every man on watch tonight fell asleep somehow."

Killian's brows furrowed as he read the words. The note was from the Dark One.

Hello, dearie. I told you that I don't like being stolen from. So I will get what I want one way or another. Bring the necklace you stole from me back to my castle in two weeks or you will never see the mermaid again.

But that's not all I want. Bring me the hourglass from Skull Rock, too. I'll be watching you, so don't even think about trying to trick me again. Don't forget, I have your precious mermaid, and there is so much I could do to her if I don't like what I'm seeing.

"Dammit!" he shouts in anguish, dropping to his knees.

Viviane ran up to the man, kneeling beside him. "It's okay captain. We'll get her back. We still have the necklace, and I know a way to get the hourglass, too."

He looks up at her, desperation in his eyes, "What did you have in mind?"

----------------------------

Meanwhile, Sirena was finally waking up from the sleeping spell the Dark One placed on her. Her head pounded and she was filled with confusion once her eyes focused on her unfamiliar surroundings. She sat up, taking in the cell she was in. She ran to the door but was stopped by a chain on her wrist that she hadn't noticed. It glowed a strange yellow color, and she knew it was inhibiting her magic to keep her there.

"Hello, dearie. Do you know where you are?" a familiar voice sang from the shadows, followed by a maniacal giggle.

"I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm in your dungeon, Dark One. If you really wanted it to be a mystery, you should know that your voice is extremely recognizable," she fires back.

"Well done. Now here's another question for you: do you know why you're here?"

"You're still moping because we stole a necklace you never use?" she sasses.

"Watch your tongue!" he shouts, throwing himself to the door so his face was mere inches from hers, rage in his eyes. "You are in no position to be so rude. But you are right, this is because you and those pirates stole the necklace from me. I want it back. And I want compensation for the whole ordeal."

"We said we were going to bring it back to you. It has been 2 days, though-"

"That is 2 days too many!" he interrupts. "You stole from me. I would kill most people who dared to try such a thing. But I do admire that you succeeded, so I won't kill you. Instead, I'm sending your captain on an errand for me that should make up for your actions. But know this, girl: if you try anything, I will make you regret it. I am much more powerful than you, even with your full magic." Her jaw drops in surprise. "Don't think I wouldn't notice how much more magic I can feel from you. But it doesn't matter now. That cuff will hold you until your captain delivers my prize, or his time runs out. All you have to do is be a good girl and sit tight. Goodbye, dearie!" he sings, disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

I am no damsel in distress, she thinks to herself. The prospect of doing nothing and waiting to be rescued enraged her. She was going to get herself out. She would not stay in this cell. 

AN: I have no words. I've been trying to figure out where I want this to go from here, but classes have started up again, making it more difficult to have time to write. I apologize for the wait. Enjoy!