Chapter 1

Ariana POV

Hey y'all. I'm Ariana Rodriguez. I am 11 years old and I have been living with my mom since I was a baby. My dad has never really been around that much but he always sent us money. I know that I have brothers but I've never met them either.

My mom uses drugs so the state has decided that they were going to take me and put me in the system. But she signed over all her parental rights to my dad before they could take me.

He should be here to get me soon. I know that he is coming from Houston and we live in Miami. I am going to miss my friends and everyone. Like I am really going to miss my mom. I hope I get to see her while I'm living with my dad.

I showered and did all my hygiene stuff before I got dressed. I don't have much but I'm grateful for the things that I do have. My clothes are all pretty old and people was always bullying me. I know that I'm going to be starting at a new school so I really hope that they don't bully me there. Cause people love to pick at me since I'm quiet.

Me and my mom live in this one bedroom apartment and right now I'm sitting in the living room with my mom. She's actually sober right now. These are the best times with her. When she's high, she says and does things that I don't like. He is not always the nicest person when she is high but when she's not, she's amazing.

We just sitting here talking since I prolly won't see her for a while when I leave.

Mom-Ari, are u going to be OK going with your dad?

Me-Yes mama. I always wanted to have a relationship with my dads side of the family and now I have the chance to.

Mom-Are u sure? I will move down to Texas and move somewhere close to where y'all living so that I can be there with u.

Me-No mama. U don't have to do that. I'm really going to miss u but I know that u don't want to leave Miami.

Mom-I will for u baby girl. U know that I will do anything for u.

Me-I know mama but its OK. I'll be OK. We can always talk on the phone and I'm sure my dad will let me come see u.

Mom-Yes he will.

We sat there talking when somebody came to the door. My mom went to see who it was.

Mom-Ari, go back there to your room. I'll call u out when your dad gets here.

Me-Yes ma'am.

I went in the back room and looked at a book.

I already know what's going on out there. My mom is getting high and she doesn't want me around her when she does that. So I always end up back here in my room. I use this time to just read the books that I have. We don't have a TV or anything so reading is what I always do.

I'm a nerd and that's another reason why people always pick on me. They will ask to see my work when I'm done and when I tell them no, they get mad and start messing with me.

I think I was back here in this room for about an hour before my mama called me back out to the front.

When I went in there, it was a man who looks kinda like me.