XXV - Game Of Survival

"There's no surrender

And there's no escape

Are we the hunters?

Or are we the prey?"

  •  

Rosemary leaned on the open car door and Jonathan climbed into the passenger seat, hunching over to look at the glovebox. The other funeral-goers were blissfully unaware of the teenagers monster hunting plans, and Nancy seemed to be mulling over their said 'plans' until she looked at Jonathan. "What are you doing?" She asked, shocked when she realised he was prying the glovebox open.

"Just give me a second." He said. Nancy looked over her shoulder to check that nobody was looking, then at Rosemary as if asking what to do. Rosemary just shrugged in response, returning her gaze to Jonathan, her interest immediately rising when she saw what he had picked out. 

"Are you serious?" Nancy asked while a smirk rose onto Rosemarys face. Though she hated to admit anything remotely positive about him considering recent events, Jonathan Byers sure did have guts sometimes.

"What?" He asked, putting the box of bullets in his pocket. "You want to find this thing and take another photo? Yell at it?" He got out of the car and Rosemary closed the door, the both of them turning to see the now agitated Nancy. Oh yeah, he sure did need guts to talk to her like that.

"This is a terrible idea." She said, looking increasingly nervous at the thought of what they were going to do.

"Yeah, well," Jonathan said, looking at the people around. Rosemary seemed to be the only one not concerned about people seeing them, seeing as everyone else believed they were at the funeral that was a result from an accident; not some monster, and certainly not for some boy that wasn't even dead. They wouldn't be seeking out 'mourning' teenagers. "It's the best we've got." Nancy gave him an incredulous look. "What? You can tell someone, but they're not going to believe you. You know that."

"Rosemary did." Nancy said in defence, gesturing to the other girl. "Your mom would."

"Don't bring Joyce into this." Rosemary objected, shaking her head. "She's been through enough, Nance." She did think Joyce deserved to know, of course she did - the poor woman thought she was going insane. But she just wasn't in the right place now to deal with it. It wouldn't be fair.

"She deserves to know!" Nancy said.

"Yeah, and I'll tell her." Jonathan assured her. "When this thing is dead." Nancy sighed, pursing her lips. It took a lot to stop Nancy from fighting for what she wanted, but given the intensity of the situation, she backed down.

"It'll be fine." Rosemary assured her. Nancy looked at her and huffed out of her nose, giving a non-committal nod.

(Rosemary doubted her own words)