XXXI - Shelter

"I'm a hurricane

I'm a freight train

Ain't the right way

But it's the only way I know"

• 

"Where'd it go?" Nancy asked. They had followed the blood trail a while, Rosemary falling behind a bit, and it had come to an end. "I don't know." Jonathan replied, holding the gun out in front of him (in Rosemarys opinion, looking like a god damned lunatic). "Do you see anymore blood?"

"No." Nancy said, looking confused. Rosemary caught up, standing beside her and looking down at the faded blood trail. She couldn't even smell where it went, now, too overwhelmed by the blood around them. They ended up drifting apart, and Rosemary finally clicked on her torch, checking behind her a second to make sure she could still see Nancy before looking forward again.

She walked further into the forest, trying again to sniff out the blood to no avail. Every small noise seemed to make her jump - whether it was the sound of twigs snapping, or an animal moving through the trees. She hated being so vulnerable - it make her skin crawl, reminding her of hours alone in the small room, the walls feeling like they were closing in -

"NO! NO! LET ME GO!" She scratched at their arms but they kept their grip, finally managing to throw her through the metal door. 

She scrambled to her feet, but the door was slammed and she was plunged into darkness.

"LET ME OUT!" She screamed, her voice breaking as she pounded her fists on the door.

"-osemary? Johnathan?" Rosemary struggled to re-orientate herself when she heard Nancys voice, whipping her head around as she tried to focus on what direction it came from. She stopped, taking a breath to try and calm herself down. She turned to her left, and started to walk, sure that it was the direction Nancy has called her from. "Nance?" She called.

No reply.

"NANCY!" Rosemary shouted, looking around - she was so sure she was going in the right direction. Nancy had called her from there - she could still smell her perfume there. Rosemary couldn't have gotten it wrong - Rosemary was hardly ever wrong. She closed her eyes and shook her head, before trying to isolate the scent again. She opened her eyes when she heard movement, whipping around and pointing her torch.

"Oh. It's you." She sighed in relief, not being able to hold hostility to Johnathan when she was so worried. "Do you know where Nancy is? I heard her calling us."

"I think I did too." Johnathan said, furrowing his eyebrows. "I thought she went in this direction?"

"She definitely did." Rosemary frowned. "Nancy?" She called, turning back to the direction she had been walking. "I don't know where she-" She stopped herself when she heard a distant screaming, and whipped around to Johnathan. "Did you-"

"Nancy!" He yelled, not bothering to listen to Rosemary as he ran in the direction of the scream. Rosemary followed behind him, and they both skidded to a stop when they saw Nancys bag and baseball bat on the ground. "Nancy?" He yelled again, looking around in a circle. "Nancy, where are you?" He started to walk off in one direction, and though Rosemary dreaded to admit it, she didn't want to lose him either, so she followed behind, an unfamiliar fear running through her veins.