XXX - Monsters

"One misstep, you're mine

And you better stay clever if you wanna survive

Once you cross the line

You'll be wishing you would listen when you meet your demise"  

  •  

"I smell blood." Rosemary said offhandedly, kicking a rock across the ground. They'd been walking through the woods for hours, in silence for the most part, since everyone seemed kinda pissed.

"Maybe it's your arm." Nancy said snarkily. She sighed, shrugging. "I don't smell anything."

"Your sense of smell is shi-" Rosemary was cut off by Jonathan shushing them, holding his hand up. It was quiet a moment and just when Rosemary was about to say something else, a whimper was heard ahead of them.

"What was that?" Nancy asked quietly.

"An animal." Rosemary replied, stepping ahead of her. She heard it a lot more clearly, the scent of blood becoming more evident to her. "A deer, maybe? It's hurt." She continued to walk forwards, Jonathan and Nancy following somewhat hesitantly.

"Oh, god." Nancy muttered when the animal came into view. It was indeed a deer, laying on it's side, with cuts and blood all over. Roadkill, probably. Rosemary grimaced at the smell, taking a few large steps back while Nancy and Jonathan continued to the deer. Trying to resist the smell and the primal urges engraved into her made a splitting pain shoot across her head, and she was glad they weren't facing her to see the grimace of pain on her face. She saw them crouch beside it.

All she could smell was the blood on her clothes as the guard tried to pry her back to her room. She screamed, kicking the guard until he dropped her, and hit the ground running. She darted down corridors, hearing heavy footsteps and yells. She was faster than them, she was stronger than them - but she didn't know where she was going or what was happening.

She was lost. She was always so lost.

She yelled as she fell to the ground, an excruciating burning pain in her thigh that made her wish she could black out - made her wish something would stop.

"I'll do it." She snapped back to reality, her back pressed to a tree as Jonathan took the gun from Nancy. The deer was bleeding more, and Rosemary tried to force down the bile rising in her throat.

"I thought you said-"

"I'm not nine anymore." They shared a look and stood up, Nancy sparing a concerned glance to Rosemary, who held up a hand to show she was okay.

Which she definitely wasn't, but that was not the point.

Rosemary looked away, clenching her eyes shut while she awaited the gunshot. After a long moment of silence, she looked back up to see Jonathan aiming the gun with a slightly hesitant hand. Just as he was about to pull the trigger, the deer shot into the bush, eliciting a small scream from Rosemary and scaring Jonathan into taking the shot. Nancy and Jonathan both jumped back, breathing heavily and staring at the spot with wide eyes.

"What, the ever loving fuck, was that?" Rosemary said through gritted teeth.