Twenty Two

Avi

The wildflowers.

That was all he saw. His vision refused to shift to anything, and his feet kept taking him closer to the fields. His heart pounded hard against his chest—it had nothing to do with the physical exertion he felt from the endless travelling, he was getting closer to her with every step. What would he say? What would he do? Could he wrap her in an embrace that would promise her he would never let her out of his sight ever? Would she accept him after this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firdaus

"I'm so sorry."

I shook my head at him, watching confusion settle over his features as a tear escaped the corner of my eye. He reached out to brush it away and I pulled back slightly, a sad smile on my lips. "It's not your fault, Noor."

His hands fell from my face, disappointment flashing in his eyes for a short instant before indifference settled in. I untangled myself from his hold, standing up and taking a shaky breath with my eyes trained on the door behind him. Noor hadn't moved from his spot on the bed, his cerulean eyes trained on my hands—they had darkened into an aegean shade that definitely signified a change in his emotions. My rejection had just made him convert all the sadness into anger, and I was about to face the brunt of it. I slid my right foot backwards, praying to the gods that I could escape just this once, but his hand shot out and gripped my forearm firmly. 

"You're right, it isn't my fault. None of this is," he whispered like he was trying to reason with himself. I nodded quickly, watching his eyes lift up to meet mine as he flashed me a smile. Wriggling under his grip, I matched his solid gaze with pleading eyes. "Please," I begged. He shook his head at me—"I want you, Firdaus. I respect the fact that you feel this isn't right for you or your husband, but it doesn't change the fact that you will be mine." Anger burned low in my belly, at the mention of Avi, and I squared my shoulders as I faced him. 

"I don't belong to anyone, Noor. I never will belong to anyone."

He took a step towards me, smirking when I took a step back. His hand reached out, lingering on the side of my face—I could feel the warmth radiating from his palm, and I instinctively turned away from it. "Firdaus, look at me," he growled.

I shut my eyes, and an impatient sigh escaped his lips. "I will not repeat myself." His fingers brushed against my temple as his palm moulded itself around my cheek in a caress, forcing my eyes to open as they met his gaze. "Why do you care about him so much?" he asked. I frowned at him. "I am married to him, Noor. I made the promise to my parents, to the God of Fire that I would love and honour him till my last breath. I intend to keep that promise," I muttered. Anger filled his eyes, and I could feel him shaking as he fought to keep himself in control of his emotions.

Noor opened his mouth, but words never left his lips. His eyes lifted to focus on something behind me, the windows, as my gaze landed on the man standing at the door, a storm brewing in his eyes. 

"Avi."