#1: part 2

-3 days before-

Nic purchases the plane ticket as soon as they let him out of the hospital four days later, after a lot of whining, complaining and pleading on his part. The longer he stayed in that place, the worse he felt.

I watched him buy the ticket to Chicago, but I didn't fully understand why until later that evening. He hasn't gone back to Chicago in years.

Nic is sitting in his patched old chair by the TV and looking through photo albums when I see him next. They are tattered and ancient like everything else he owns, but these feel like a different kind of old. The dusty brown covers protect memories of a different life, and hold more stories than most people will ever know. They're full of happiness and better times.

A single tear slips down Nic's cheek as he pries open the first book. There are photos of him as a young boy- short black hair and an impish smile, grinning playfully at the camera. Many of the pictures show him with his parents; two tired-looking older people with premature gray hair and practiced smiles. An older girl is there, too; his sister. She has the same round face and black hair, but with larger, sadder eyes. She stands apart in the pictures, as if she doesn't want to be noticed.

"Annie," Nic whispers softly. "I'm coming home."

Ah. So that's why he bought the tickets.

~•~

That night Nic digs through the dusty boxes in his bedroom and pulls out his old letters, all addressed to one person; Annie Ghenya. They had all been returned, unopened.

Dear Annie,

Reads the first one,

I'm very sorry for leaving you all behind last year, and for not replying to your letters. I was very busy with my life here.
It's not as bad as you said it would be, and it was a nice break from Chicago. If I have the money I will fly you all out here to see my shop.
The shop is wonderful; I've gotten so many customers, and I'm starting to meet some new people, like you asked me to. My house isn't large at all, and it doesn't feel like home without you and our parents all here with me, but I'm surviving. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake bringing Otis; this town just isn't the right place for dogs.
How are things going at home? Is Dad doing all right? Again, I'm sorry for leaving you to take care of him, but I just had to get away. I hope you understand.
Tell our family I said hello.

Your loving brother,
Nic

The second letter was written two weeks later.

Dear Annie,
Why haven't you written back?
Business is slowing and I'm getting more homesick every day. Once I get the money, I'll visit home for a while, help you with Dad. I hope he hasn't gotten any sicker. You understand why I couldn't stay, right? You of all people should know.
Today I was walking home from work during the evening and I saw an owl. It was a beautiful thing; large and majestic, with graceful wings. As soon as it saw me it swooped away, but I couldn't help but feel connected to it, at least for a moment. It reminded me of you, and how you always cared for the wild animals we saw.
You would love it here, you know. There's so much more wilderness out here, and the stars are beautiful at night. I stood outside of my apartment the other night, staring at the sky and thinking of how you and Ma used to watch the stars every night. I miss our family.
I decided to put Otis up for adoption. I can't take care of him now that I'm spending so much time at the shop, amd I know he'll be happier with someone else. I'm really sorry; I know you loved that dog.
Write back soon, will you?
Tell Ma and Dad I said hello.