#4: part 3

Book 3:
All the Light We Cannot See
Anthony Doerr

In the next half hour, Andy felt closer to Riley than to anyone else he'd ever crossed paths with.

She loved skiing and hot chocolate and cold winter nights.
She had two sisters named Bella and Maddie. She loved them both but hadn't seen them in years since they lived in Colorado.
She read books about far-away places and fictional people and things that never happened and things that might happen someday if we just hope enough.
She wrote poetry that she insisted was horrible but Andy bet it was the best poetry he would ever read.
She loved books because they let her escape into a world of her imagination and she loved writing because it let her travel to a world all her own.
Her favorite place in the world was at the top of a mountain because then it felt like she could see the whole world.
She loved pictures of sunny fields and winter landscapes washed with sparkling white snow and old photo albums rich with memories.

And when Andy left the bookstore hours later, he felt so grateful that he'd ever stumbled on this girl.

~•~

Andy whistled as he walked away from the shop and down the empty streets that night. He took his time, stopping to look at a sign or admire a flower. Time flowed like honey here, he'd found; slow and relaxed, cruising through as if in slow motion. He wanted to savor every drop of it.

He arrived at Blake's apartment quicker than he would've liked. There was no avoiding it, however; he'd have to face his friend sooner or later.

I wonder why he hates Blake so much. He gets along with almost everyone else; well, except his father.

The faded brown door that led to the apartment suddenly seemed dark and threatening. Andy pushed it open, and with a small creak, revealed a room covered in darkness.

"Blake?" He peered around the corner to see his friend standing in the kitchen. The dancing shadows made his face look pale and gaunt.

"Get out of here." Blake's tone was flat but his eyes were filled with fire.

"Um, what?"

He gestured to the room, where Andy noticed that everything was in disarray. The couch was overturned, the old lamp lay cracked on the floor, and all the kitchen cupboards were wide open.

"What- what happened?" Andy stuttered.

"Everything important's gone. The TV, my playstation, all my grandma's antique silverware- who takes silverware?- and all my money."

"God." Andy felt sick. He knew why Blake wanted him out. "Look, I'm really-"

"It was your dad, wasn't it?" Blake spat. "He's just a petty criminal, sneaking around and stealing from people who've got nothing. No wonder no one at school wanted to be friends with you."

Ooh, burn.

"I tolerated you this long because you're rich and I've got no money, but this is the last straw. I bet you even helped him. Where were you today, huh? Out helping your loving father steal from your friends? I bet he taught you all his little tricks, too." Blake shook his head, sneering. "Get out."

"Gladly." The sick feeling in his stomach had turned to embers, and he felt ready to explode. As Andy grabbed his bag and stomped towards the door, he whirled around to face his former friend one last time. "And by the way, I didn't help him. He cares about no one but himself, just like you."