#7: A second chance

"Listen to me closely."

Calum stares into the face of a young girl. He tries to sit up, but find he can't. It's as if his entire body is paralyzed. All he can do is open his eyes wide.

He looks down and tries to find the rest of his body, to see what has happened to him. But he can't find it. It's as if the only part of him that exists is his head.

"Stop staring at yourself- or, rather, your lack of self- and pay attention," the girl orders. His eyes are immediately forced up to look at her. He finds that they, too, are now paralyzed.

She is pretty, but not in a standard way. Her eyes are huge and sad-looking, and her face is all sharp angles and lines. She is a pale wisp of a girl, small and plain, wearing a dress so white it hurts his eyes. She carries a long silver object in her hands. It looks a bit like a sword. There is something wrong-looking about her, but he can't place it.

"Who- who are you?" he croaks.

"Haven't you guessed?" She smiles, but it doesn't reach her eyes. "I am Death."

He is stunned speechless. "But- but you can't be real-" he looks around himself for the first time. "Where am I? Is this Heaven?"

She laughs. "Goodness, no. We are in the In-Between. It doesn't exist, not according to the laws of your people, but that has never bothered me. You are lucky, Calum Hayes. You are the first living soul to find its way here."

"I'm still alive?"

"Count yourself lucky. I have broken many rules for you today, child. This is something I haven't done for a long, long time."

"Why am I alive? Mark shot me, didn't he? I could feel it. It hurt- it hurt so much," he whispers.

"Yes, he shot you." She sighs. "I have done something very stupid today, Calum. I saved you. That isn't supposed to be my job. But I get so very tired of the endless souls coming through here without a chance to finish their story. To live their lives. And you have a very important story.

"Your life has saved many others, even without you knowing it. And they have saved you. I wanted-" she seems torn. "I just wanted to do something good for once. So I saved you. I brought you here, where I could heal you without my idiotic brother Life interfering. He can be very annoying."

"Wait- there's a Life, too? I thought it was just Death."

"A common misconception. Life gets rather jealous sometimes, and he would try to make sure I didn't have the chance to save you." She seems annoyed. "It's not my fault you humans love the idea of dying so much more than living.

"But enough talk. We don't have much time. I did this thing today, Calum, so you would have the chance to help others finish their stories. I can't save everyone who died today, but maybe, just maybe, you could help their souls find peace."

"How?" he asks. "If these people are already dead, then how will I help them finish their stories? And what are their stories supposed to be?"

"Your stories are how your lives change the paths of others. In my opinion, it's why you are all here. To help save others' lives." She smiles at him, a smile of hope and desperation. "No matter what you made your life into, it would matter. And as for finishing their stories, I have given you some words the fallen never got to say. They'll come to you when the time is right, and I trust you will be able to use them. Now sleep, and do not forget me when you wake."