The Plan

Afterwards they asked me if I wanted to be a part of their plan. They didn't need to tell me what it was to get me to agree, as long as it involved the world being tortured for everything it had done then I was in.

First step involved stealing plutonium.

"How is this going to work?" I ask. "I see so many things wrong with this plan as it's playing through my head. It's flawed"

"It's the best I could come up with. This is the plan that is the least flawed," Nine told me, modifying the skidoo I was sitting on.

I lean my arms on the handle bars of the skidoo, resting my cheek on my palm, looking at him through the windshield. "When I met you two I never thought it'd lead me here"

"Nobody would"

"You're just two teenagers, of course nobody would think you are terrorists. Or, are like terrorists. I know you two don't want to injure anybody, I definitely don't want to, and I'm pretty sure a normal terrorist wouldn't care if anyone was killed," I ramble.

"We're doing this to-"

"I know, I know, you told me that the day I met you. Now here we are, three weeks later, getting ready to steal some plutonium"

"I still don't understand why you agreed to this. You could've lived a normal life, like every other human on this planet. And you're gifted, not everyone is"

I smile. "I was tired of being normal, of having the world tell me who to be. I want this, just as much as you and Twelve"

He puts the hood of the skidoo down and sits beside me on the seat. I sat up straight and watched him. He was fiddling with the rag in his hands, staring down at it.

"We barely made it out, Five was close to... she almost made it but she wasn't fast enough"

I put a hand on his arm, trying to draw his mind away from the noughts. "I don't care about that. If she is out there then I'll meet her someday. Right now we have to focus on what we're doing"

"You guys ready?" Twelve asked, walking in.

We got up and got dressed. Twelve and I wore blue suits with gas masks, Nine wore a white hazmat suit with a gas mask. He was going to infiltrate the nuclear plant and get the bomb while me and Twelve waited to get away.

***

Twelve drove a police van towards the gates of the plant while I waited in back on the skidoo. I could hear him humming to himself happily, he seemed to enjoy getting to blow things up.

He turned on the sirens and threw the grenade, which he was tossing up and down in his hand, at the gate. Then he turned the wheel, causing the back of the van to spin around on the icy ground, giving me the perfect moment to drive in and pick up Nine.

I burst through the doors of the van as Twelve started driving away. The skidoo raced through the gates, past the security guards that were chasing me. I stopped at a door that Nine exited, he had a sphere in his hands. What we came for.

I handed him the empty backpack that was on my back and he slid the sphere into it, zipping it up and slipping it on his back. He got on the back of the skidoo, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist while I helped us escape.

Once outside and a fair distance away from the plant I tore off the gas mask, smiling madly as we drove over the snow. My hair was tied back in a ponytail so it didn't blow in Nine's face but the wind blew in my face. I felt liberated.

"What are you doing?" Nine asked in my ear over the loud wind crashing in our faces. He had taken his mask off as well.

"I'm enjoying myself. We just pulled that off flawlessly, it was perfection, something I could never achieve when dancing," I shout to him.

***

When we returned back to our homes I went straight to bed, but I couldn't sleep. I laid staring at the ceiling for some time before I decided it was enough.

I knocked on the door of their home but when nobody answered I started banging on it. A tired looking Nine opened it, his glasses not on his face. He looked handsome without his glasses, but I shook that thought out of my mind. He looked exhausted, like he hadn't gotten any sleep.

"What are you doing here?"

"Can I stay here for the night? My mom's out of town and I don't feel safe at home alone, especially since, you know ," I whisper.

"Come on," he mumbled.

He went into another room and came back out with blankets and a pillow. He set them down on the couch.

"Thank you"

"Can I ask you something?" He asks, sitting down on the chair. I sit down on the couch.

"Go ahead"

"How did you not get taken away? How do you still have a mother to look after you?"

"That's right, all those taken for the Athena plan, were orphans, right?"

"Yeah"

"Well, they didn't take my sister from an orphanage, they took her directly from my mom. Actually, my dad gave her away. He worked for them, he was involved in that plan. He left after he took my sister, we never saw him again. That's why I still had a mother and how Five became involved with the project"

"What do you have against the world? Why exactly do you hate it so much?"

"There's the fact that my dad stole my sister and I haven't seen of them since. But, I think it's mainly because... because all the world has done is keep me from doing what I wanted. It's finally time for the world to get some payback for what it's done to me"