The Final

Everyone started evacuating, but Nine and I went back into the city, walking through the crowds that were heading the opposite way. We stopped inside a building, Nine turning on the power.

We rode up in the elevator in silence, Nine staring at the ground, me staring outside at the world that was shrinking as we got higher and higher.

Once at the top, which gave us a beautiful view of above, we walked over to the window. Nine pulled out his phone, looking at a timer. Less than three minutes left.

"Nine? What happens after this?" I ask.

He looked at me. "I can't say much happens for me after this, but you will be free"

"I don't want to. Nine, you're making it sound like you're going to die soon"

He pulled me towards him, kissing my lips like he was saying goodbye, softly and delicately. He felt distant when he pulled away, even though I was in his arms.

"Don't worry about it"

The bomb exploded, making the sky a purple and pink colour, then it faded to red and orange. I held onto Nine's hand, my fingers wrapped through his, as we watched the beautiful sight.

Finally the colour in the sky died down and the power of the entire city went out. Then the sky turned green, the northern lights shining in the sky. A tear dropped down my face and I leaned against him.

"I can't believe this is finally happening"

Nine looked at me and whispered. "It's almost over"

"Almost?" I ask urgently.

"Nothing," he said, maybe he didn't intend for me to hear his previous comment. "Come on, there's somewhere else I want to go"

I followed him, and he led me to an abandoned institution. The exact same one from my dream. We wandered around, everywhere overgrown with trees.

"It's a lot more peaceful than it was in my dream," I comment.

Outside Nine took a piece of wood, carving the number 5 in it, and wedged it into the ground amongst other planks with numbers. Probably graves for the kids that didn't make it.

Twelve and Lisa showed up. It was silent for a second, all we could hear was the crickets and birds chirping. Then Twelve spoke.

"Nine, I..."

"The grenade, it was you, wasn't it?" Nine asked him. "You're the only one who would pull something like that. Guess I owe you one"

Twelve smiled, and Lisa looked happy that the two seemed to have made up. Twelve turned on a faucet, seeing if there was any water running, Nine found a ball, and Lisa put some flowers in front of the graves.

Then we all started kicking the ball around, having fun, playing like normal kids would. After a while of kicking the ball around Nine sat down to listen to music, I sat beside him to listen as well, but Twelve sprayed us with water from the faucet.

The sun went down, the sky turning a beautiful purple and pink like when the bomb exploded, and someone walked towards us, ruining our peaceful evening. Nine and Twelve went to see them. It was Shibazaki.

"Took long enough but I finally made it here. This is your home town, isn't it? The place Sphinx wanted everyone to see. Well, definitely got the whole world's attention. They all wanna know who you are, where you came from. Hell, media outlets across the planet are dying to find out. If you're caught, everything that happened will come out in the open, it'd have to. At this point you've created such a firestorm no one could ignore it anymore. So, the world is ready to listen, which I'm assuming was your goal the whole time. Am I right? Were you planning to be caught from the very beginning?"

"Yeah, but, we needed something," Twelve said.

"No. We needed someone. We couldn't be captured if no one figured that out," Nine said. "You were our Oedipus, Shibazaki, it was always you"

"Alright then," he pulled out a gun. "Sphinx, you're under arrest"

"About her, she's just a hostage, please protect her," Twelve said about Lisa.

"What about her?" Shibazaki asked, looking at me.

"I'm one of them,"

"She's also a hostage, don't believe anything she says about being one of us. She doesn't know what she's saying. And she didn't know earlier when she turned herself in," Nine said.

A helicopter flew over head, shocking Shibazaki and the rest of us. Then multiple more flew above. Nine held up a detonator, telling everybody about a bomb that was in a nuclear power plant.

"Nine! Give it up, please," I pleaded, not wanting anyone to die.

A gun was shot, and blood spilled from Twelve's stomach. He fell to the ground and Nine fell to his knees beside him, crying loudly. I started crying too, the dream I had feeling all too real now.

Nine stood up, about to press the detonator, but Shibazaki stood in front of him, telling the Americans to hold their fire.

"I will make sure everything comes to light in court. That's why you've put your lives on the line. That's all you really wanted. I promise, the world will know the truth"

Nine tosses him the detonator. "Alright, I'll let you finish it"

He got the same look Five had in her eyes, then he clutched his head in pain. I ran to him, but he looked past me at Shibazaki.

"Thank you, but I have one more favour to ask. Remember us. Remember that we lived," he said weakly, staring up at the clouds.

He fell back and I screamed, kneeling beside him quickly. I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him, crying. He was still breathing, but barely.

"I... want you to live... for us," he whispered hoarsely in my ear before his breathing stopped completely.