The Evacuation

"She knows about me, she must. She's smart enough to have connected that we're working together. If I hadn't have helped you you probably would've been caught or shot. If I hadn't snuck past them, snuck away, then maybe I would still be a secret in this plan"

"You have no choice, you did what you thought you had to. You're gonna have to be more careful, we can't lose you now, we need you for this final part of the plan"

***

The next day I went to their extra hideout, an old arcade, since their house was blown up by Five. It was quiet, Nine was standing at the top of the stairs, thinking.

"Nine? Where's Twelve?"

"He went to save Lisa, Five got her. I need your help, we're running out of time"

"That's what I'm here for"

We packed up some things and left, Nine locked the door and threw the keys in a sewer. I followed Nine to a building, an old clock tower or something, and we started building a bomb.

Then we only needed one more thing, the bomb stolen from the plant. It was at the school, hidden in a locker. But the cops pulled up. We ran, just barely making it away from them. And we had the bomb.

But as we were jumping the fence I got shot in the arm. We didn't stop, if we did we'd be dead. Only when we made it where we were going did Nine pay any attention to the bullet wound I received.

He put down the bag the bomb was in, grabbing a small strip of cloth to wrap my arm in. It was all he had to keep me from bleeding out, no proper bandages or disinfectant.

"Are you sure you want to be apart of this any longer? Twelve doesn't want to finish the plan, I understand if you don't want to either. It's dangerous"

"Nine, if I didn't want to go through with this I wouldn't have gotten on Twelve's motorbike when he found me. I know what the consequences are, and I fully accept that"

"You know what I'm going to do next. You need to get yourself to a hospital"

"You don't have to turn yourself in, you're still hidden. We can-"

"I have to. Come on, they'll help you when we get there," he grabbed my hand, trying to pull me out the door, but I wouldn't budge.

"Nine-" he spun around to face me.

"No," he said sharply, cutting me off. "You need to be safe. The only way for that to happen is with you out of the way"

"What happened to you needing my help?"

He stepped closer, looking down to meet my eyesight. "This is how you help me"

He kissed me, the hand that was holding my arm going to the back of my neck. I closed my eyes, not knowing about what he was going to do next. I felt a prick in my arm, then nothing.

I woke up in the hospital, the news was on. My eyesight was blurry but I heard something, a mention of Sphinx turning himself in and a press conference. An officer stood by the door.

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

"Fine. Where's the guy that turned me in?"

"It's fine, he isn't going to hurt you anymore"

"No!" I exclaim, sitting up. "He can't-"

"Calm down, you're still recovering from whatever happened to you"

"I'm a member of Sphinx, arrest me too!"

He chuckled. "Yeah, right"

I glared. "I'm serious. I'm an unknown member of Sphinx. So, take me to him!"

I was brought to the police station, which wasn't far away, and I turned myself in as well. Then Nine and I and some other officers drove towards a building where the press conference was going to be held.

Someone shot at the car, then it spun after hitting the side at a turnoff. Nine and I got out, him grabbing a gun off of one of the officers. We started running down the empty highway, until a car sped up behind us. Nine turned and shot at it.

When it was close enough Nine jumped out of the way, pushing me with him, the car crashing into the side and spinning out. Oil was leaking from the front. I sat against the guardrail, Nine knelt on his knees, his glasses not on his face. Five stepped out of the car.

"Nine, I always wanted to beat you but I never could. Did you realize this was going to be my last opportunity?" She aimed the gun at him. "Here we are. Time was always going to catch up with us, and I finally get to thank you though. The only reason I was able to survive until this point was because of you"

Her eyes looked unfocused, like she was having trouble keeping them on Nine. I tried sitting up but must've hit the ground harder than I though because my shoulder started throbbing a lot, so much it hurt to move.

"I'm sorry," Nine said.

"I know. Now's a good a time as any to part ways, don't you think?" She then looked over at me. "Jun, do what I never had the choice to do. Live"

She then shot the gas that leaked from the car, standing in it, flames bursting up all around her. Nine shielded my body from the explosion, his eyes firmly shut, like he was trying to block out the fact that Five was dead.

"She-She didn't need to do that," I whispered.

"We need to go," Nine told me.