The School

"Why do we have to do this?" I whine, tugging at the skirt I was forced to wear.

"This is the only way we'll get into the government building," Nine responded calmly, his hands tucked in his pockets. "You know there's no other way for us to do this"

"Why do I have to be there though? I could stay back, work on some things for the next part of the plan"

"It will go faster if you're there to help us set up. We only have a limited time-"

"I could get you more time. Come on, I hate this uniform, it's uncomfortable"

"Jun, don't worry, we'll be in and out in no time," Twelve says, nudging me with his elbow.

I scoff and walk ahead of them, my fingers laced together and hands cupped behind my head. "We better not be here longer than intended. If we are I'm taking it out on you, Nine"

"What about Twelve?"

"He didn't force me to go to school, and wear this awful uniform"

As we approached the school I could hear some girls talking rudely to a quiet figure. Over the walls of the pool, from the staircase that led down from the walkway across the street, I could see a girl with short jet-black hair standing on a diving board, 4 girls standing around telling her to jump in.

Twelve ran up to the wall and poked his head over it, his carefree smile on his face like it normally was. He started talking to the girls while Nine stood watching from the staircase with a cold look in his eyes. I leaned on the railing, watching with interest.

Twelve jumped over the wall and into the pool. Nine sighed at his actions, I giggled and rolled my eyes. This was just like Twelve, doing whatever he wanted without a care in the world. His head bobbed up and he smiled once again at the girl on the diving board.

"I told you not to draw attention," Nine scolded him as we continued walking to the school, Twelve dripping wet.

"I don't like bullies," he said.

"You don't know what bullies are," I say with a sharp exhale.

"Yeah, I do"

"Are you going to class like that?" Nine asked Twelve, eyeing him up and down.

"He has no choice, we're already running late because of that stunt he pulled"

Nine sighed. We walked inside the school, well Twelve ran, and went to our classes. We all had separate ones. Nine and I were the same age but we were placed in different classes due to remaining space inside them.

"What's your name?" The teacher asked me.

"Jun Murakami," I answer blankly.

"Ah, the new transfer student. Alright... you can go find an empty seat"

When the bell rang for lunch my phone started buzzing like crazy, all texts from Twelve asking where I was and that he was on the roof. A couple of boys in my class came up to me and stood around my desk.

"Yes?" I ask.

"We wanted to get to know you a little," one of them said.

My phone buzzed again, this time it was a text from Nine. "Hurry up and get to the roof". I sighed and stood up. The boys backed up.

"I need to go," I tell them, slipping past them.

I walked up the stairs to the roof. Nine and Twelve were looking over the side, no one else was outside. I went over to them and leaned my back on the railing, resting my elbows on it.

"What took you so long?" Nine asked me.

"A couple of boys tried talking with me"

Nine looked over at me with his arms crossed. It looked like he could see right through me, like he knew I absolutely hated this. But he was always good with reading my thoughts.

"Be patient. The field trip is tomorrow, after that we're done"

I stand up straight and fix my skirt. "Good. High school is awful. The people here are so stupid, so clueless about everything"

"Do you ever think before you speak?" Twelve asks curiously, his head tilted to the side.

"Always"

"Do you realize how it could make others feel?"

"Of course," I respond with a smirk, and he smiled back with a chuckle.

The school day ended and I was glad to finally go home and sleep. I didn't get how kids did that daily. In the middle of the night my phone rang, waking me from my peaceful sleep. Nine's number was on the phone.

"Nine? Why are you calling in the middle of the night?" I ask with a yawn.

"I need to talk with you. In person," his stoic voice said over the phone.

I checked the time on my phone. It was 1:26. "I'll be there shortly"

I got out of bed but didn't bother getting dressed, just shoving on a jacket and some shoes. I got on my motorbike, another thing left behind by my dad, and drove to their apartment. I knocked on the door and Nine immediately answered, grabbing my arm when he opened the door and yanking me inside.

"Whoa, Nine, what's the rush?"

"You're being loud," he mumbled.

"Then I'll whisper," I whisper.

We sat down on the couch. There was a pillow on it, making it look like someone had slept on it recently. I faced Nine but he stared down at his hands locked in a ball.

"Why did you call me over here at one in the morning?"

"I wanted to tell you about... I had a dream..."

He began explaining his dream to me. How it was him and Twelve, running for the fence, through a field, away from a fire. Five wasn't far behind them, but she tripped. That's what got her caught. She wasn't fast enough.

"How long have you been having that dream?"

"A while"

"What do you think it means?"

"I was going to ask you that," he said, looking up at me over the rim of his glasses.

"Maybe she is still alive, still out there. Or, it could just be a side effect from everything that you've been put through"