The Reunion

I stayed at their house that night, feeling like we all needed to be there for each other. Since I had been staying over here so often I got my own bed. When I woke up I saw Twelve sitting on a step.

Nine gasped awake, catching the attention of Twelve. I kept my eyes closed, listening to their conversation while pretending to be asleep. They wouldn't tell me anything about what it was like when they were young, being with my sister, so I had to figure everything out myself.

"Nine? Are you okay? Why don't you get some rest," he suggested.

"I can't. Five's not gonna wait for that"

"So, what? Is she holding some kind of grudge against us? I don't understand"

Nine got out of his bed, walking down the stairs to stand by where Twelve was sitting.

"Neither do I. If she wanted to escape with us she could've. I think she just likes playing the game. Now she wants to pick up where she left off"

"She's quite the adversary. Something tells me she's not gonna go easy on us"

"But she doesn't know we have her with us," Nine said, his voice sounding closer, like he was looking at me.

"She's important to us, to you, I can tell. I can't decide wether it's because she looks like Five or because she isn't like Five"

"Um, I don't mean to eavesdrop, but maybe I could help out?" Lisa asked.

"What the hell could you do?" Nine asked rudely.

"I am capable of things you know!" She snapped.

"Like what?"

"I could, uh-"

"Blow up buildings? Hurt bystanders?"

"I don't know"

"Could you do that?"

"No, I couldn't"

Nine clicked something on the computer. "Cause this is what we do. Look at that"

"But, Nine, we didn't detonate the bomb in the subway," Twelve said.

"Just stay out of our way, alright? If you wanna help, do that"

I heard someone walk away, and then someone follow them. The last person left in the room came over to my bed, sitting on the edge.

"We can't let Five find you," he said. "We need you, and if she gets you it's almost finished"

I opened my eyes, leaning up on my elbow. "Almost?"

"She knows who we are, we're targets. If she finds you with us, you're a target as well"

"We could say you guys kidnapped me?"

"We'll figure it out later, right now you can get some more sleep"

I got a message on my phone, and I could tell the others did too, a new riddle from Sphinx, but it wasn't from us. We tried to figure it out, and when we put it in as coordinates we got an airport. That was one of our targets.

"This is it, her message to us. Her way of saying she's seen through everything," Nine said from the next room over.

***

We went to the airport, Lisa and I arriving separately to Nine and Twelve. I had some sunglasses on and my hair tucked away in a hat, knowing people would recognize me as the almost famous ballerina if I didn't.

Lisa came with us too, since they needed a new face to help them. I didn't count as a new face because my face wasn't normal, where I had been on tv before.

A man in a suit came over to me, telling me I had to follow him. I couldn't ignore him or go against him because that'd cause a scene, and I didn't want to show I was one of the terrorists.

"What did I do?" I ask, trying to sound innocent.

"Someone wants to talk with you, you've done nothing wrong," he answered.

Five was the person who wanted to talk with me. She was standing in a trailer in a storage section of the airport. She took the glasses off my face then smiled.

"Jun, you look beautiful"

"So do you," I say, trying not to choke on my words as I looked into her violet eyes.

"What are you doing at the airport?"

"I came to pick up one of my friends, her flight gets in later"

"I see. I want you to stay here, it's dangerous in the airport right now. I'm glad you're safe, I never thought I'd see you again"

"I never thought I'd see you either"

I was terrified during the whole conversation, but I kept my calm on the outside, that's all that mattered. My phone rang and I hesitated to answer, knowing who it was.

"You can answer," Five said.

I cancelled the call. "It's nothing important"

The alarms rang, Lisa had done her job. Then the camera glitched and soon Five ran out the door, getting stopped by someone loading a gun. Police started shooting at him, and I managed to sneak past the others.

I kept myself hidden while I shot at the police, keeping them from killing Nine. I ran away with him, stopping in the hallway.

"How did you..." he cut himself off, at a loss for words as he stared at the gun in my hand.

"My mom was cautious. She taught me how to use a gun in case anyone ever came to take me away, just like what happened to my sister"

He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards a door. "You need to run, get back to the house"

I nodded, handing him my gun. "You might need this"

He tilted my head up then pecked my lips, holding his against mine for a couple seconds. He didn't look at me when he ran off to stop the bomb. I ran as well, going the opposite way to get a taxi and go home.