The Murphy Administration

Connor walked around the car and opened Evan's door for him, offering his hand to help him up.
"Before we go in, I should warn you... I don't have many umm... friends. So my family might- they might kinda freak out. I'm not really sure, it might be fine but I thought I should warn you anyways 'cos I know you don't like shouting or being crowded or anything, so yeh."
"Oh- ok."

The two boys walked up to the front door. Connor's house was pretty big, for the area at least. It was one of those kind of Victorian looking houses. Probably a new-build that they were trying to make more 'characterful'.

Connor pulled out his keys, Evan hid a smile noticing the gudetama keychain, and the picture of the Murphy family on a ride at Disney World. The keys jangled as Connor put them in the lock and pushed open the door with his shoulder.

"Welcome to my humble abode mon ami!" Evan glanced around, suddenly self conscious about his own house seeing how nice Connor's was.
"It's umm... It's nice."
"No need to lie Ev, but I appreciate it anyway." Evan decided he wasn't going to argue.

A blonde woman, presumably Connor's mom rounded to corner with a poorly concealed look of surprise.
"Who's this Connor?" She asked as though talking to a small child or wounded animal.
"This is my friend Evan," Connor said.
"Why don't you take him up to your room?" She gave Evan a sympathetic smile which confused him slightly.
"In a sec, is Dad here?"
"No, your fathers still at work."
"Okay thanks Mom, this way Ev."

Connor lead the shorter boy up the stair case and into the second room on the right. Connor's room was fairly sparse, the little furniture there was had ugly markings (like it had been punched, kicked and thrown over more than once). The only colour in the room came from Connor's over-stuffed book case, the rest was monochromatic, like a prison.

Connor walked over and flopped onto the bed. Evan lingered by the door picking at his cast.
"Hey! Come sit! We're watching a film seeing as it's my pick."
Ev just nodded a perched himself on the bed next to Connor. After some rummaging through his sheets Connor pulled out his iPad and opened up Netflix.
"What to watch..." He mused quietly. The screen turned away from Evan as he looked through the options. They sat like this for a few minutes. Evan was happy to just watch Connor's face gently illuminated by the iPad screen. Privately he thought that it seemed a bit excessive to watch a movie two days in a row (having watched both Over the Garden Wall and Black Panther in short succession) but he was too immersed in Connor to want to say anything.

"Ah of course! Galaxy Quest!"
Evan groaned slightly. Connor got comfortable lying down, then pulling Evan down with him. They ended up; Connor spooning Evan while holding the iPad out in front of both of them.

Evan tolerated the film. Evan liked the smell of Connor's paco rabanne cologne. Evan couldn't get over the feeling of Connor's hair on his cheek. Evan was enamoured with his closeness to Connor and how it lit him up inside. Evan loved Connor. And before Evan knew it he was being looked at weirdly by the lanky brunette as he tried to snap him out of said Connor-induced-trance.

"Ev, dinner," Connor clicked his fingers in Evans face "Hello ground control to major Tom, food time."
Evan started into reality.
"S-sorry I just y-you know-" he searched for the word "Uh, zoned out?"
"Was that a question or a statement Hansen?" Connor teased.
"Yes?" That earned him an unimpressed look.

"TIME FOR DINNER." Connor began to drag Evan down the stairs despite his protests. However half way down the stairs he stopped, causing Evan to stumble into his back.
"Oh hi, Dad," Connor said the words with a thinly veiled mixture of venom and discomfort.
"Hello Connor, who's that behind you? You're dealer? Your Boyfriend?" Both of Larry's attempts at jokes fell flat.
"Dad, y-you can't say things like that," Connor's face burned red.
"So who is it then, you boyfriend."
"Stop repeating it, it wasn't funny or okay the first time. It won't be the third or fourth time."
"I can say-"
"You can say whatever you want, 'cos it's your house. I know, I know. It's the excuse you give for making homophobic comments and abusing mom all the time..."
"I do not abuse your moth-"
"Yeh, hitting her and shit doesn't count as abuse. Sure."
"I do not hit her-" Connor glared at him. "-this is not a discussion for right now, the dinner is going cold." Larry stalked off towards the dining room.

"Sorry Ev," Connor murmured.

The Murphy's dining room was nice, Evan would know considering the whole dinner was spent in silence. Gave him plenty of time to look at the family photo's on the wall, the placemats set to the side, the cobweb that had gone unnoticed in the top right corner of the room and finally to closely inspect the dust floating in the air.

The dinner itself was okay, it was home cooking which was a nice change however it had way more super foods and spiralized vegetables then any one meal needed.

The silence was heavy and chocking. No one attempted to ask who Evan was again. Zoe already know him from school, for Cynthia 'friend' was enough and Larry- well Larry was waiting to bring it back up with Connor later in the evening. Preparing to take 'disciplinary action'.

Twenty long minutes later Evan quietly thanked Cynthia for the meal and left. That night for the first time since Connor first texted Evan his parents fought.