The Way You Make Me Feel

"Hey, mum, where's dad?" - I knocked on her bedroom door.

"Bathroom, he's shaving. He has an important trip tomorrow." - she said.

"Where's he off to, this time?" - I asked.

"Greendale. He's thinking about growing the business. And if everything goes well tomorrow, he'll partner up with another businessman from over there." - she answered me and she turned another page to the book she was reading. - "And what happens afterwards, will be up to them." - she shrugged.

"You don't seem to be very excited about this?" - I said confused.

She stayed quiet for a minute. - "Don't get me wrong, sweetie, I love it when your father stands up for himself and supports the decisions he makes, all by himself. He built his business from scratch. He used to work so hard during college and he studied even harder. Of course I want him to grow his little empire, but, this could mean him travelling every other day. He might end up being in Greendale a lot more often, than here, at home... It could mean that we won't get to see him as much as we usually do." - she sighed.

I nodded, completely understanding where she was coming from. - "Can I ask you something?" - I said in a hushed voice, as I sat down on the bed next to her.

She looked at me, almost worried. - "What's wrong, honey?" - she closed her book and took her reading glasses off.

"Don't worry, it's nothing serious. I just want to know your thoughts on something." - I said and she listened carefully. - "I know that dad wouldn't agree, but I'm begging you."

"What are we talking about here, Alicia?" - she raised her eyebrow at me. I hated when she used my full name. Alicia, it sounded like a middle aged woman.

"This guy asked me out on a date and I really wanna go."

"Okay? And?" - she was confused now. - "Your dad might be a little strict from time to time, but he wouldn't forbid you from going out. I don't see what's the problem here."

"The problem is, he's supposed to pick me up in 20 minutes." - I grinned sweetly at her.

"But, you just got home from work! Aren't you tired?" - I shook my head no. - "You know that your dad would kill me if he were to find out that I let you go out at this time of night, right?"

"Well, are you letting me?" - I asked, my grin not leaving my face.

She smiled at me. - "Get up, let's go to your room." - she took my hand and lead me out. - "What will you wear? Where is he taking you?" - she asked, just as she closed the door.

"I don't know, mum!" - I giggled. - "He said that he'd be here to pick me up at 11:30pm and all I know is that my time is running out!" - I said, as I sat on my bed, panicking.

"Okay, okay. Calm down, baby. We'll figure this out." - she said as she pulled out some makeup products from my makeup drawer. - "A little mascara, blush and some natural coloured lipstick should be enough. You put those on and I'll try to put up an outfit together." - she placed them on my vanity.

I nodded and pulled the chair back, so I could sit down.

She handed me a baby pink coloured blouse with sleeves and high wasted jeans. - "So that if you don't want to take a jacket with you, I'll look pass it. I mean, it might get chilly, but you'll have sleeves." - mum smiled and I nodded.

I put the clothes on and added a simple silver necklace and a black belt on, as accessories.

"Mum.. do I look good?" - I asked, looking myself in the mirror. - "This is something I'd wear to school, not on a date..." - I mumbled. - "I wanna look.. well, hot."