The cat's out of the bag

The same night, after Jackson left, Alice stepped by the Sunnyside Trailer Park and knocked on FP's door.

"It's open!" - she heard from inside, so she walked in.

"FP?" - she looked around. - "It's me, Alice."

At the same moment, he jumped up from the couch. - "Hi!" - he said surprised, as a grin spread across his face.

"You did it, didn't you?" - she said.

"What are you taking about?" - he asked, confused.

"Jackson." - she answered. Her big blue eyes were staring directly at him.

"Uh? That uhm, guy at the diner, earlier? W-what happened?" - he stumbled over his words. He never thought that she'd find out. Or at least not that soon.

"You don't have to lie to me, FP." - Alice chuckled. - "I know I always say that violence is never the answer, but this time, unfortunately, it was." - she frowned and stopped talking for a moment, before a warm smile spread on her lips once again. - "I don't know how or if you knew anything, but I'm not even going to question it."

"He talked, didn't he?" - FP finally cracked.

"No." - Alice chuckled and shook her head. - "He was too afraid of you, silly. He left right away."

"Then how did you know?"

"Well I'm not stupid. Your bike didn't turn on before he entered Pop's. You left afterwards."

"How do you know it was my bike? Maybe I decided to walk home. Maybe it was someone else."

"Yeah, sure!" - she laughed. - "And I suppose there's another guy named Forsythe Pendleton," - Alice giggled at FP's full name. It was like she had almost forgotten his original one. - "who was the sweetest and the most polite young man in town? According to my grandparents, of course."

FP sighed. - "Okay, you got me." - he mumbled. - "I never wanted you to know. I was afraid that you'd get mad at me." - he said quietly and looked at his feet.

"Oh, FP, no!" - she shook her head and stepped closer to him. She put her hands on his face and lifted his head up, so that he could see her smile. - "I could never be mad at you." - she reassured him. - "I didn't come here to scold you."

"You didn't?" - he asked surprised.

"No," - she chuckled. - "of course not." - she said.

"Well then?"

"I came to thank you, FP." - the smile didn't leave her face. - "You have no idea what that guy has put me through. I'm glad someone finally taught him a lesson. And once again, I don't know how you knew-"

"He acted awful towards you." - he said, cutting her off. - "I couldn't stand it." - he said quietly and leaned his forehead on hers.

"Well.. however" - she shrugged. - "Thank you. Really, thank you so much." - she said and wrapped her hands around his chest, hugging him tightly.

"If he was such a bad guy, why didn't you tell me earlier about him? I would've taken care of it a lot sooner. You wouldn't have had to put up with him as long." - he said, after a while.

They were still standing in the middle of the living room, embracing each other.

"I was ashamed." - she said quietly.

"Why would you be ashamed?" - he asked looking at her.

She avoided his eyes, as her own started to fill with tears.