Preface

3rd Person POV

((WARNING: 3rd Person is not my strong point; feel free to point out errors etc. ))

The two surviving mourning redheads hang their heads as they walk through the crowds of their home; Shiganshina. They hear some people call their names however Jasper and Sienna do not look up.

Sienna; the younger of the two is crying whilst her older brother Jasper is fighting the urge to cry also. They sneek off and retreat to their village immediately, holding all that remains of their cousin Harkin in their arms; his arm; wrapped in his cloak. Harkin was attacked by an eotan during the Survey Corps' return to the walls.

"How do you think Aunt Nessa will cope?" Seinna asks her older brother. Jasper says nothing. "Jasper!" Sienna whines.

"Shut up!" he commands of his younger sister. Sienna yelps and jumps backward at the ferocity of her older brother's command. "It was your fault that the eotan got Harkin in the first place!"

"But..." Sienna protests.

"No Sienna; you know you're a siren yet you never seem to realise how that impacts the rest of your squad. It's been due to your big mouth our commerades have been devoured before yet you''re so oblivious!" Jasper chides.

Sienna shakes her head. "I don't believe that. It's all bullshit that I'm a siren. Harkin thought so too!"

"Well Harkin wouldn't say that NOW would he?" Jasper shouts. Seinna yelps again and cries even more, hugging the only limb that was not completely mauled by the eotan's jaws.

Jasper knocks on Aunt Nessa's door. She answers it, already crying.

"I'm sorry Aunt Nessa." Jasper says; aware that his mother's sister must have heard the argument between he and his sister. "Harkin Rowen fell in the line of duty, spurring on the knowledge of humanity." Sienna is jabbed in the arm by her older brother who has his arms neatly behind his back like protocol suggests you do when briefing a mourning family. Sienna hands her redheaded aunt the cloak. She peels the sticky formerly green fabric away and begins to cry.

"H-how?" Aunt Nessa asks her sister's children.

"It doesn't matter how Aunt Nessa; what matters is that Harkin did not die in vain." Jasper replies.

"No!" Sienna protests. "Aunt Nessa don't listen to Jasper, he's too formal with this. Harkin died because an abnormal eotan grabbed him off of his horse. Lance Corporal Levi slayed the eotan because Jasper and I were too slow!" she hugs her aunt.

"Is that Sienna?" the worn voice of their Grandma Reed croaks from the living room.

"I'm here Grandma." Sienna waves while being hugged by her aunt.

"And Jasper? And Harkin?" she asks.

"No mum, not Harkin. Harkin's with the godesses Maria, Rose and Sina now." Aunt Nessa lets her niece go and ushers Jasper in.

"I will be too soon... Jasper, come to me." Grandma Reed orders. Jasper nods his head, kneeling at his grandmother's side. "I want you to promise me something Jasper; you will look after your sister while she tries to leave the legion, accept her duty as a woman and not force her to hesitate any longer." Jasper and Sienna grimace.

In the Rowen family siblings are born in trios so they can join the military together; they are always to opt to join the Survey Corps to spur on humanity's knowledge however girls are expected to concieve a child whilst in the legion so are deployed and sent home to be mothers and have the next generation of soldiers for the legion. It is how the Rowen family has behaved for almost one hundred years.