Five: Utter Ruins

Today is the dawn of my first mission since the fall of Wall Maria! It's the first time I have been ASKED to go instead of having to beg. Not like begging ever helped my case anyway.

The only reason I'm going is because we're losing man power; we lost a lot of men due to what Levi called "the incompetant fool"'s plan. In all of my years in the Survey Corps, I have never come across any superior so reckless as the one who lead so many to death; Alister Wood.

I remember the last time I tried to go on a mission. I sigh at the thought of being so whiney.

It gets rather lonley in HQ. I cannot go on missions anymore, Commander Erwin's orders and the only person who will talk to me is Lance Corporal Levi. The new members of the elite squad all seem to speculate as to why I am even here. I don't fight the titans or go out to spur on humanity's knowledge. I'm just a post for the drunken men of the legion to leer at who will also keep HQ clean all of the time. I'm a maid!

"Look it's humanity's greatest mute maid." Olou Bozado teases. I don't talk. It's not that I cannot it's just that I won't. The only person who I'll talk to is Levi Heichou.

I pass the wannabe Levi by as I clean. At least if I keep HQ clean Corporal Levi has one less thing to worry about. Today the trainees from the 103rd Trainee Squad are to arrive, an alarmingly large crop of recruits.

"Here they come!" Corporal Levi's best elite Eld Jinn points outside. I rush to the window, as the blond said Corporal Levi is leading a large cluster of recruits toward HQ, the last two years have been poor in numbers; maybe ten per year, there could be fourty out there!

I run outside to greet the recruits when I realise I can't endanger them like that. Olou is at my heels.

"Dismount." our stoic corporal says. The trainees obey, one looking very eager to please is a ginger haired woman with shining hazel eyes.

"You brats have to share rooms with one another. Bozzado will tell you more." Olou steps forward very cockily so I stick my leg out and he falls flat on his face. The newbies snigger as the elite rises. I duck my head and spin on my heel to bolt inside only to be faced by a slightly bemused corporal.

"Inside." I am ordered. I put my arms up to salute when I recieve a harsh glare; that's right I don't have to salute him anymore, he and I are...friends?

"Is it me or have you gotten harsher? When did you start calling the newbies brats?" I whisper.

His eyes widen at my voice; I rarely speak to him outside of his office. Unless it's basic sign language. Hey when you're trying to be a mute you need to talk somehow.

"Or maybe it's that you only seem to be nice to me." I playfully stick my tongue out at him.

"Maybe." he dismisses however his attitude changes in the blink of an eye; are the newbies looking?

"Well we can't lose any more men than we can't avoid." Levi mutters, back to the attitude he potrayed moments before I spoke. .

"Levi... can I go on the next mission; it's not search and destroy right?" I ask.

"No." is all he says. I huff.

"Sienna." my eyes light up as I spin on my heel to face the corporal.

"It's too dangerous, we already established how stupid it would be to lose you on a mission." I pout.

"But surely it would be stupid to lose me over something natural too! What if I am of use? What if I am an asset to humanity and my abilities are not embraced. You could learn from me!" I catch up with Corporal Levi, trying to plead my case. He puts his hands on my shoulders, looking into my eyes; Levi and I are the same height.