Chapter Twenty-Two: We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes

I unlocked the front door to the new house Derek and I had just bought, dropping my jean jacket and kicking off my Uggs by the looming, winding staircase that was front-and-center in the foyer. After Derek had sat me down and explained the new pack dynamic, I had finally gotten on board with the idea that we were going to be creating a powerful, ruling force in Beacon Hills that would not only prevent us from losing any more people we cared about, but would also ensure that our child would always have a family, and people to protect him or her.

“And that’s more important to me than anything else,” I’d told my husband, squeezing him tightly in my arms and relishing the feeling of being protected from within Derek’s muscular embrace. Even though we’d had our troubles lately, I finally felt like we were on the right track. We were finally going to be at peace again.

                                From the size of our new house, you would think Derek was a pimp and we were running an intricate brothel, and that was nearly an understatement. Apparently, with a pack as large as ours was going to be, there had to be a “pack house,” which sounded like something out of a movie. All of the members had pitched in, and along with some mysterious funding that Derek got for being an Alpha, we’d moved into our new home just a week ago...along with the rest of the pack. During the two weeks that I had off from school for Winter Break, Derek and I had gone to Cancun, Mexico, for our honeymoon. We’d stayed in a beautiful resort, slept in every morning, swam in the ocean, had sex on the beach...had sex in the shower...had sex on the floor of our cabana...it had been a dream come true, but now that we were back and school had picked up again, I was realizing how much work I had to do before I graduated and before the baby came, which were unfortunately around the same time.

                                         “Hey you - have you seen the Alpha anywhere?” Jagger asked me as he passed by, sweat staining his tight white workout tank top and his reddish-brown hair ruffled, the bleached-blonde tips sticking up in every direction. Wait. Jagger’s the gay one? Who’s dating that other guy who is also named after a celebrity- no, a singer?

“Um, no, sorry, I just got home. But I’m sure Derek’s around here somewhere.” I dropped my bag on the stairs as well, deciding that with all of these strangers in my new house, I needed a drink. But of course, no alcohol until this baby pops out. So I settled for heading into the kitchen to make myself some brownies. 

                                   When I walked into the kitchen, I was overwhelmed with the sudden urge to turn right back around and leave. Virgin and one of the other girls, the one who was always crying over a TV show, were seated at the huge island, perched on top of counter stools and shouting loudly about something while the crying girl painted Virgin’s nails fluorescent green. Virgin was a fairly tall black young woman, her dark hair blown out and curled without fault every day. She was also very strongly opinionated, tough, and in control. And if I’m being completely honest with myself, she scares the shit out of me. 

“Hi,” I murmured as I slid past them, but my greeting went unheard amidst there impassioned arguing. Getting out a bowl, wooden spoon, and box of brownie mix, I began messily throwing the ingredients together as quickly as possible so that I could get out of there. I hadn’t voiced my concerns to Derek, but...I hated having ten perfect strangers move into my home and occupy all of my husband’s time, especially when they barely gave two shits about me. For all of Derek’s “treat my wife with more respect than you would myself” preaching, they all acted like I was the maid around here instead of their “Luna,” which I’d googled to try and find out more (it had been fruitless). I miss the days when it was just me, Derek, Erica, Isaac, and Boyd. That was a pack I liked.