Chapter 21

Axel's PoV

I drummed my fingers on the table, waiting for Jesse to arrive. "One minute." my teacher called, making the late students rush in at the door, pushing and quickly sliding into their seats. Where was Jesse? He was usually the first to arrive, last to leave.

I glanced at Olivia, who, like me, was looking at the door, waiting for Jesse. I waved at her, and gestured my concern. She frowned and shrugged, making me even more concerned. If Olivia didn't know where Jesse was- "I'm telling you, Pet. I don't want him to hurt you."

"I know. But I can handle this by myself Lukas." I resisted the urge to look at Petra and Lukas, who were sitting quite close to me. Were they arguing? "Me? Scared of Aiden? Hah!" Petra exclaimed, making my teacher look up but he didn't say anything. Even some of the teachers were afraid of Petra, to be honest.

"I'm not saying that you're scared of Aiden." Lukas murmured quietly. "And besides, he's listening." Lukas said so softly, I almost didn't hear what he said. I glanced at Aiden, who was staring out at the window, looking like he was daydreaming but I knew that he was listening to their conversation.

I turned away from Lukas and Petra, a bit guilty for listening on them. But why was Lukas suggesting that Petra was afraid of Aiden? Suddenly, Jesse entered the classroom, making my teacher focus on him.

"Why are you late Mr Jones? You've past five minutes." Mr Hayden said, tapping the clock on his desk. Jesse looked at him sullenly and gestured to his head, unable to speak. I glanced at Olivia again as she held the edges of her desk. Jesse leaned towards Mr Hayden and murmured something.

Mr Hayden nodded and amazingly didn't send Jesse to the office. When Jesse slid into his desk, everyone was looking at him, amazed. No one ever escapes from being late. I poked my best friend, who seemed to be going to sleep. As per usual.

"What happened to you?" I whispered, making Jesse glance at Mr Hayden. "Sick." he whispered really softly. I looked at his pale face, his exhausted expression and his tired posture. "Then why are you in school? Shouldn't you-."

Jesse scowled, unlike his usual cheerful self. It was not him. Maybe his sickness was affecting his mood... "No money." Jesse murmured, drawing circles on his worksheet as Mr Hayden started to explain about our school schedule for today. I sat back, letting Jesse rest his head on the table. What was wrong with him?

**********************

Jesse shivered in the cold. "Jeez. It's barely snow season and it's already cold." he said. I looked around and saw Olivia making her way towards us. "Hey." she said, standing beside Jesse. "Whoa. Why are you so hot?" she asked him. Jesse grinned a little. "Yeah I get that, even when it's warm outside."

I rolled my eyes as Olivia punched him gently. Jesse's smile faded a little and he blinked. "You okay?" Olivia asked, worriedly. Jesse nodded. "Look, lets go and finish the treehouse. I want it to be ready before Christmas!" he continued.

Olivia looked a little relieved. "Okay, all in?" she asked, nodding to me. I smiled. "Always in."

*********************

"Hey Reuben!" I called to the dog. Reuben looked up at me and wagged his tail. "Uhh I need a hammer." I told him. Reuben barked and ran to get one. "No, It goes like this!" Jesse laughed, holding a board in place as Olivia hammered it down.

"I know where the board goes, dummy." she replied, making Jesse roll his eyes. I turned away from them, a little unsure. Did Olivia really like Jesse? I put down the nails I've been holding and sit on the roof of the treehouse, thinking.

"AHHH!" Olivia screamed. I looked up jut in time to see that Olivia was on the ground, and there were wolves. Wolves?! "Olivia- don't move." Jesse slid down from the roof and I did the same. Standing on the balcony of the treehouse, I could see that the wolves looked extremely hungry. Hungry enough to eat a human.

"Oh no-." Jesse muttered next to me. "Uh- good- wolves.. guys. A little help?" Olivia muttered to us while holding out a hand. "I don't know what to do." I said to Jesse as the wolves snarled. Reuben growled but Jesse held him back. I quickly tried to remember what I read about wolves but I couldn't honk about anything.

The wolves must've sensed our fear. Because they growled and I could see that they were getting ready to pounce on Olivia. "OLIVIA-." I yelled hurt as the wolves jumped. Jesse jumped from the treehouse, darted forward and smacked the wolf with his hammer. "GO AWAY!" he yelled, making the wolf growl.

The other wolf, jumped on Olivia but I followed Jesse and tackled the wolf. The wolf howled and I narrowly missed its bite by an inch. Quickly, I grabbed a piece of wood from beside me and shoved it at the wolf. "JESSE-." I yelled as the wolf bit my arm. "AXEL!" Olivia's scream was so loud, the wolf whined. I couldn't think straight- the pain was overwhelming.

"GET AWAY!" Olivia screamed to the wolf as she dragged me away. I was starting to black out from the pain. Jesse smacked the wolf once more and the wolves retreated. "Oh god- Axel- hang in there." Olivia said as Jesse quickly used my phone to call an ambulance. I leaned my head against the ground and held my arm.

-End

If you read The Winged Ones, I'm pretty sure you know which wolves I'm referring to.