Chapter 10

I'm back after so many months. A lot has happened. Thanks to all my readers.

Cole's call was quite odd. I even wonder how he got my number, I don't even remember giving it to him.

He seems like a nice person though. He could be my first boy friend, not romantically of course.

Saturday passes by quickly and normally, with me buying groceries, sketching designs, watching films, and doing assignments.

"Hey Amelia." A familiar voice says.

"Hey. Uh, who is this please?" I ask.

"It's Vanessa, your workmate." She sings out.

"Ohh." I exclaim. "How are you doing?" I ask.

"I'm fine. Are you free today?" She says.

"Yes I am, why?"

"Susan is having her birthday party today, you should really come. It'll be fun." Vanessa replies. I try to think of who Susan is for about two minutes before I remember.

"Susan, as in Fashionista Susan?" I ask uncertainly. If it isn't her, then I don't know another Susan.

"Yes, her. So are you up for it?" She asks.

"Well, I'll feel weird. I don't talk to anyone there apart from you and the age group difference is there as well."

"Oh, come on. I'm coming over to your house, we're going for this party."

"Hmm." I sigh. "Okay."

"I'll be there soon." Vanessa says and hangs up.

I didn't even ask how she knows my address. Anyway I suppose it's easy to find anyone who isn't hiding.

Ten minutes later, I hear a knock on the door. I quickly open the door to find Vanessa.

"Hey girl, how are you?" Vanessa says as soon as she sees me. Over her shoulder, I spot the 1997 convertible on the front porch of my house.

"Cool ride." I say and invite her in.

"Thanks. I also brought my things over to change. Hope you don't mind."

"Not at all. Now there's someone for me to talk to while I'm dressing up." I say while noticing the pink crop top and black jeans she's wearing.

I see that Vanessa is taking in the design of the house. It's always empty but it does have that homely look with grey couches and a center table, a big TV, a wall clock and some pictures.

"Nice place. Come on, let's get to your room. It's 4:30pm and the party starts by 7pm. Hardly enough time to get ready." Vanessa says with a smile.

I look at her like she's grown two heads. What are we going to be doing in 2hrs 30mins?

We begin climbing up the stairs to my room. She pauses at the hallway to look at the picture of a smiling dark-haired woman with lighting big brown eyes.

"That's my mom." I simply say.

"She's beautiful." Vanessa says quietly. She must have seen my mood change because she asks no further questions and follows me to my room.

"Wow, I love your room." Vanessa says as she enters my room.

"I love the designs, the colour, the clothes, everything." Then she turns to me and says, "You really do know how to design." She says beaming.

"Thanks. It really means a lot to hear you say that." I reply happily. It's nice to hear people say that.

"Oh, you're welcome. Come on, let's begin the makeup. But before that, let's pick out the clothes so that we'll know how to do the makeup." Vanessa says.

I nod and go to my wardrobe to pick out some clothes. I pick a white gown with green and yellow flowery patterns.

Then I pick up simple black heels with little studs on them

Then I pick up simple black heels with little studs on them. I quickly change into the outfit and walk up to Vanessa. Immediately, she starts shaking her head.

"No, no, no. You can't go for that party looking like you're going for a parent-teacher meeting. You're going for a party Amelia. I'll have to look for a different dress." She says as she ransacks my wardrobe for clothes.

After 20 minutes, she brings out a gown I thought I lost. It's a short flair red gown with white pearls on the neck. It seems really short though.

"Now, this is it. Try it on."

"It seems really short, it's been years since I wore it." I say, hoping she changes her mind.

"But it's lovely. Try it on, Lia."

I stare at her for a few seconds, a bit surprised at the change of name. As I try the dress on, I realize that I  might have gained a new friend. And a nice name switch.

"Wow, you look stunning, Amelia. See, I told you it isn't so short." Vanessa says pointing at the gown clearly way above my knees.

"Okay, I agree. The dress is really cute. Are we starting the makeup?" I ask to which she smiles and nods.

After about two hours, my makeup is finally done. I think I asked to look myself in the mirror more than ten times. Vanessa refused each and every time.

"Now, you can look at yourself in the mirror. I'm done, don't look at me like that. It's mild makeup, that's what seems to suit you best." She says looking at me proudly, like I'm the best prize ever. I bet she's marvelling at her work on my face.

"Whoa." I exclaim. My face looks natural and yet, so different. I love it. My eyebrows are well angled with little eyepencil and more brushing. My face is well contoured and my lips are just the best shade of red.

In 15 minutes, we're out the door and in Vanessa's car. We spend the 20 minutes drive talking about clothes and boys. Well, Vanessa does most of the talking.

We get to Susan's place at 7:15pm. Her place is filled with about 30 people, mostly people from work.

"Lia, let's get you introduced." Vanessa says dragging me towards a group of four, including the celebrant.

"Guys, I brought Amelia to the party. Remember her?"

Susan and two others nod their heads and smile, while one just gives an eye roll.

"Err, happy birthday Susan. I couldn't get you anything though." I say, hoping for a good impression.

"No worries, Amelia. Thanks for coming and you look good." Susan replies and excuses herself to answer a call.

"She looks really nice today, it's her 25th birthday anyway." Vanessa says.

"Well, you're the new Amelia Sanders. Mrs. Martins already likes when you haven't even begun work." I look to see that the statement was made by the eye roll lady.

She continues,  "Well, you better work hard. You are not special because she likes you." Before I can reply, she walks away.

"She is at it again. That's Lily, she's is Mrs. Martins' favourite." One of the guys who smiled at me says.
"Oh, and I'm David. This is my boyfriend, Andy."

The other guy, Andy smiles and says, "Oh, don't mind Lily. She'll come along. Come on, let's go enjoy the party."

I smile at them and follow them to the dance floor.

How do you see Lily?

Please vote and comment ❤❤