Chapter 14

Merry Christmas, guys. Remember the reason for the season, to celebrate the birth of our Lord and his selflessness towards us. Remember to be joyful and giving this season.

I didn't want to believe that Dad could move on to another woman so soon. We ended up arguing, with me telling him he was being inconsiderate of Mom's feelings.

Thinking about it now, that was a stupid thing to say. Dad had to move on, he couldn't continue sulking and locking himself up. I had to apologize, and also tell him about the test.

"Dad, can I come in?" I asked, as I knocked on his door.

"Yes, dear."

I hadn't been in this room in a while, I looked gloomier than the last time I saw it. The walls were painted gray, and our family pictures still hung on the wall the same way they did by the stairs.

"Dad, I'm sorry I said those things. I wasn't thinking straight. I have been waiting for you to move on, and become the father I once knew. You can date other women, but only if they make you happy." I said.

"Thanks, dear. It means a lot to me that you accepted." Dad smiled as he hugged me.

"Uhm Dad, I have something else to tell you." I explained everything I knew about the test to him and he just sighed unhappily.

"I thought the time for you to graduate from high school was still far away. You can take the test, either way next year you'll be off to college."

I hugged Dad in a mixture of happiness and sadness. "Whether I go to normal college or Rome, I'll be sure to call everyday. Nothing will make me forget my dad."

"I love you, sweetheart."

"I love too, Dad." I said, contented. My dad was learning to move on.

**********

Thankfully, I still had my black boots as I walked through the thick snow to school. I declined a ride by my dad, to experience this.

Christmas was here, and Ottawa was making a good show of it. Christmas lights danced around and a snow filled tree stood near the grocery store. Even with the snow, the place was lively as people walked in and out of stores carrying trees, lights, ornaments and even gifting wrappers. This was what I loved about the season.

I arrived late again, and this time my English teacher caught and reprimanded me. Being late three times earned you a Saturday detention, but being a straight A student saved you sometimes.

The test was scheduled for this Saturday, and I felt like I wasn't prepared enough. The results, however would be ready on Christmas eve, Monday, it was their way of saying Merry Christmas.

I and Kathy were headed to the cafeteria, when we spotted Charlotte walking over with Jack. I still hadn't told Kathy about seeing Charlotte and Lily together.

Ever since that day, I had become suspicious of Charlotte. I avoided her if I could, but that wasn't going well. I decided to ask her about it today.

"Hey, Charlotte. We didn't see much of you last week. What happened?" Kathy asked. I had deliberately been making I and Kathy avoid her.

"I don't know." Charlotte looked at me, and I realized I had not made a right decision. Jack quickly told her goodbye, I hadn't even noticed him still standing beside her.

I decided to come out with it, "Umm, Charlotte I saw you talking to Lily at the grocery store the other day. You know her?"

Her brows suddenly knitted together, and then her face brightened. "Oh, Lily. She's my cousin, how do you know her? She's never mentioned your name before."

"I don't suppose she could have. We just work together", now I felt guilty about avoiding Charlotte.

"Mmm, is it why you have been avoiding me since, even you Kathy?" She glared accusingly at her.

"No, I didn't tell Kathy about this. I'm sorry, Lily is not really nice to me and I thought you were pretending to like us or something. I should have known better, I'm sorry." I admitted.

"Okay, but don't do that again. It isn't nice. Anyway, I was thinking we could go shopping over the weekend."

"Oh, that sounds nice. Charlotte, I have to tell you this!" I exclaimed as I told her about the test. Along the way, we had decided to eat outside.

"Lily told me about the test as well. I hope you guys succeed, although I'll miss you a lot." She said.

"Me too." Kathy whispered. She still wasn't happy I suspected Charlotte, but now she was talking to me. I was going to miss them, supposing I went to Rome anyway.

**********

My mind had not been clear since I woke up, I was nervous and excited. I sat down with Lily, and 8 other interns I didn't know as we we were transported to the test venue. I silently prayed for my success, it would be a wonderful Christmas gift.

The weather was more chilly than before, some roads made impassable. Luckily, the road we used had been cleared the previous day.

I could tell everyone else was nervous, no one talked to the other, some read and others closed their eyes sleeping or meditating, I couldn't tell.

Soon, we got to the venue. It was a large 5 storey building with Fashionista boldly written in dark blue colour. I couldn't believe two Fashionista companies were located in Ottawa, and I never knew.

Ten of us were led to a really large auditorium that could seat 1000 people. My nervousness has reached its peak, and I wished Vanessa was near. She and Mrs. Martins had come with us today, but had been strictly professional throughout. I couldn't blame her, she was doing her job. We represented the city of Ottawa, Canada. There were participants from various countries here; America, Spain, Nigeria, Australia, even Italy.

I looked back at the ten of us and tried to guess who would make it, I hoped I would.

A lady walked up to the decorated podium, and said "Good morning everyone. The test is about to start, please can the staff who followed the interns move to the waiting room?"

I watched Mrs. Martins and Vanessa leave the auditorium and my heart skipped. This was the moment I had done all this for, I wasn't going to let myself down.

Please remember to vote and comment❤❤