Chapter 22

"Daisy, please pass me the scissors. I need to cut out this extra part." I called out to her.

As she passed me the scissors, Kathy piped up,"You both are so fast, in less than a week you've started the clothes. At this rate, you'll finish before that girl." She said, waving her hands and squinting her eyes.

"Mama bear." I muttered. I had called Kathy to relieve some of my tension and instead I had told her everything that had happened in the last month. We had also moved past the fact that we had not talked in nearly a month, but that didn't stop me from subconsciously making an effort to contact her every week.

"That reminds me, when are you going to do the complementary tests for second semester of school? I overheard Principal Williams telling my mom they were going to rush this term because of the upcoming pandemic." Kathy continued.

"Ohh, that's true. I read about the pandemic online yesterday, it's gaining waves. I just hope it subsides soon, I'll ask Mrs. Martins about it because I myself have been wondering." I said, starting up the sowing machine.

"Okay then, I have to go. I'll talk to you later, I have to go to the movies with my mom. And tell that cousin of mine we have issues to discuss." She said, beaming.

Despite being happy, I couldn't help the frown I developed. I missed having her around. Since I left for Rome, it had been just the two of them. I was happy for her, but I knew they were being this close because her father's condition had become worse and no one could be sure if he would survive.

Suddenly, Daisy put her hand on my shoulder and smiled reassuringly. She understood how I felt, and in that moment I was happy. I still had her, and Leo my mind whispered.

I smiled back at her as the call ended, and continued my work. There was still tons of it to do.

***********

I had gotten accustomed to always having Blues playing out of my room, it was like Leo knew I loved it. Somewhere at the back of my mind, I felt like I had told him that night.

I was lightly dancing to the soft tunes of "My heart will go on" by Celine Dion, until I opened my door and saw Leo in a state of undress.

"Aaah," I shrieked and covered my eyes. "There's a closet for you, why didn't you use it? You know I come back from lecturers at this time, everyday." I said, trying not to peek.

All Leo did was to laugh and continue dancing. After a minute, he came up to me and whispered, "I'm done, love."

I opened my eyes and immediately smacked his head, I couldn't afford this. Coming back and seeing my roommate undressed or half dressed, it wasn't appropriate.

"Ow, what's it? You can't stand seeing my chiseled body and fine abs, mmm?" He said, flexing his shirted arms.

I studied him, he really did have a nice body. Well defined chest, nice toned skin and oh my, I loved his tattoos. Not that i would ever tell him any of these. I widened my eyes in shock and realized my position, I was standing, head cocked to the side studying my male, definitely straight roommate. Of course, I heated up and started blushing which he must have noticed as he smirked, kissed me lightly on the cheek and sauntered off whispering, "I'm on a date, don't wait up for me." I fell on the bed, I hated female reactions to males.

Fortunately Daisy and Vanessa walked into my room, stopping my train of thoughts of a particular boy or maybe boys. Ughh, I needed to focus.

"Vanessa, nice to see you. How have you been?" I walked up to her, and looked at Daisy curiously. Vanessa never visited rooms, this must be important.

Vanessa smiled at me as she sat down on my bedside chair, her classy part seemed to come on when it involved school business. "Oh I've been fine, doing school work. Assuring parents that their kids were safe and unharmed from any incidences. How have you been, I heard about your class project and how your materials were stolen... We'll find the items alright?"

I nodded while Daisy shrugged as I looked over to where she sat across from us, she must have told Vanessa. That wasn't bad, maybe she could really find out what happened.

Vanessa continued, "With that aside, your high school principal informed me about your pending tests so I and Mrs. Martins decided to give you the test next week Friday. I trust you've been preparing for it, after this your result will be sent to him and your diploma will be ready pending graduation."

I meekly nodded as she finished. I had not been preparing at all,  only glancing at my high school notes occasionally. I would need to do better now, finishing my project and notes all in one week. I silently prayed for some magic.

After that, the real, casual Vanessa emerged as she moved to sit on my bed. "Now we've got some catching up to do, what's been happening?"

Beaming, I indulged her in the marvels of Fashionista world while she smiled and nodded occasionally, sometimes with a twinkle in her eyes. I got the feeling she was remembering her own days here. Gradually, Daisy eased up to her and joined in the conversation even bringing her lovely cookies for us to munch on.

**********

True to his word, Leo didn't come back that night but I got a call from another long time friend.

"Amelia," the voice said when I answered the unknown number, "It's Jackie, I'm back."

I screamed as I dropped the phone, it couldn't be. Not Jackie, not Jackie.

"Lia, Lia... Can you hear me?" Leo's voice floated into my head. No, I whispered as Jackie came closer. I forcefully tore my eyes open to see Leo kneeling beside me, looking at me with a mixture of fear, astonishment and... guilt.

"Leo, I saw Jackie. She said she's back, it can't be. Not again." I whispered, crying into his arms.

"It was just a dream, Lia. She's dead, gone. She's not coming back, you've got to calm down. We're not in a horror movie, where the dead return." He said, as he rubbed my back.

Slowly, I regained my composure. "You're right, she's not coming back. It's probably from all the stress I'm facing right now. Leo, thank you for being here." I said, hugging him awkwardly and sniffing.

I needed to put that night away permanently, how could I tell Leo I regularly saw his sister in my dreams? Especially of that horrible night, when he had to make the toughest decision of his life.

What do you think of Amelia and Leo? Let me hear your thoughts.

Please do vote and comment❤️❤️