24

Troye's pov

"Mellet, get this one some water, will ya?" Jesse calls from the couch, gesturing to Jaden who is sitting upside down hanging off to the floor.

I scoot back from my chess board I moved to the kitchen floor and stand up, retrieving a water bottle from the fridge and tossing it at Jesse.

"Thanks, mate." He says as I return to my board and thoughts that demand to run wild.

Nudging a pawn forward, I find myself in a trap against myself, capturing that same pawn on my other side of the game. Clearly, I don't know how to win and lose against myself, simply just trying my best.

A familiar set of steps towards me, I recognise Jesse just from the sound of his shoes.

"Why don't you go talk to him?" He asks, sitting down on the other side of the board.

"Now why would I do that?" I question. 

Moving another pawn forward, I feel a light tipsy feeling swirl around my body. He picks up a piece from his side and incorrectly places it forward, as it is supposed to move diagonally.

"Because it is much more useful than you winning a game of checkers against yourself." He murmurs, "Because frankly, you're playing yourself in more ways than one."

I pick his bishop up and set it where it belongs, moving mine as well. Mumbling out chess, correcting him, I don't know where to begin.

"Jesse, why would I talk to a man that wants nothing to do with me?" I inquire.

He scoffs, "Nonsense, he hasn't kept his eyes off you or your direction the entire time I've been here."

"He's always got his eyes on you."

I look up at him, "Was he glaring like usual?"

A shake of the head no and I'm taken back, "Really?"

"Mate, I think he's falling for you."

Taking my queen out, I shake my head.

"Bollocks," I grumble, "That bloke wouldn't fall for anything but a football."

"What are you two doing in here?" The one and only says, entering the kitchen.

"Playing a game. Care to cheer me on?" Jesse offers, making me give him a warning look.

"Jesse." I let out.

"What?" He whines out.

"I'm good. I'd rather wait until I'm old and withering to pick one of those checkers up."

"It's called chess!" I exclaim, done with these fools.

"Whatever losers." He mutters, turning back and returning to his place on the couch.

I turn to Jesse and gesture a hand out, "See? He hates me."

"He wants to talk to you." He counters.

"Does not." I retort.

By now, this is about anything but chess.

"We should get going, leave you to talk with him." He says, scooting back.

I lean over and grab his arm, "Please."

"Don't leave me." I plead, "I don't want to face him yet."

He freezes and settles back down, noticing the dread in my eyes.

"Fine." He declares, "We'll stay until the game is over."

"Thank you-" I utter.

"Just until the game is over." He speaks up quickly.

I nod, "Okay."

"What are you so afraid of anyway?" He asks, picking a knight piece up and moving it forward.

I pick his up and move it two spaces diagonal... where it belongs, and move mine over his, capturing it.

"Love, infatuation, dependency, really just anything that has to do with human emotion." I answer honestly, slowly but surely becoming an open book to him. 

It's mind clearing, revealing things I don't even realise until I say them out loud. 

"Well, I mean, everyone's afraid of that stuff." He makes it seem so simple, "It's vulnerable."

"And there's a chance things may not work in your favour." He pauses, locking eyes with me, "But that doesn't mean you should give up on it and fear such things."

"Intimacy isn't a bad thing."

I lean back against the cabinet and bring my knees up to my chest.

"Jesse," I whisper, "I'm afraid I'm getting in too deep."

"I'm afraid I'm falling, but I'm already on the floor."

"Troye, that's what intimacy is."