37

the most important chapter

hi guys, little info on what u reading about just incase you aren't aware, as many aren't. here u go. xx

HIV, also known as human immunodeficiency virus, is a virus spread through certain body fluids that can lead to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS, if not treated. unlike some other viruses the human body can't get rid of HIV completely, even with treatment. once you have it, you have it for life. it can be transmitted through contact with infected blood, semen, or vaginal fluids. over time, HIV can destroy so many of the cells that the body can't fight off infections and disease. opportunistic infections or cancers take advantage of a very weak immune system and signal that the person has AIDS, the final stage of HIV infection.

no effective cure currently exists, but with proper medical care, HIV can be controlled. the medicine used to treat HIV, antiretroviral therapy, or ART, it taken the right way every day, can prolong the lives of many people, keep them healthy, and greatly lower their chance of infecting others.

when people get HIV and don't receive treatment, they will typically progress through three stages of disease- acute HIV infection, clinical latency (HIV inactivity or dormancy), and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). medicine used to treat HIV, known as antiretroviral therapy (ART), helps people at all stages of the disease if taken the right way, every day. if gone by untreated, within the first two four weeks people may experience a flu-like illness, which may last for a few weeks. when people have acute HIV infection, they have a large amount of virus in their blood and are very contagious, but people with acute infection are often unaware that they're infected because they may not feel sick right away or at all. to know whether someone has acute infection, either a fourth-generation antibody/antigen test or a nucleic acid (NAT) test is necessary.

this period is sometimes called asymptomatic HIV infection or chronic HIV infection. during this phase, HIV is still active but reproduces at very low levels. people may not have any symptoms or get sick during this time. for people who aren't taking medicine to treat HIV, this period can last a decade or longer, but some may progress through this phase faster. people who are taking medicine to treat HIV (ART) the right way, every day may be in this stage for several decades. it's important to remember that people can still transmit HIV to others during this phase, although people who are on ART and stay virally suppressed (having a very low level of virus in their blood) are much less likely to transmit HIV than those who are not virally suppressed.

AIDS is the most severe phase of HIV infection. people with AIDS have such badly damaged immune systems that they get an increasing number of severe illnesses, called opportunistic illnesses. without treatment, people with AIDS typically survive about 3 years. common symptoms of AIDS include chills, fever, sweats, swollen lymph glands, weakness, and weight loss. people are diagnosed with AIDS when their CD4 cell count drops below 200 cells/mm or if they develop certain opportunistic illnesses. people with AIDS can have a high viral load and be very infectious.

aaand protection, you can use strategies such as abstinence (not having sex), limiting your number of sexual partners, never sharing needles, and using condoms the right way every time you have sex.

if you've gotten this far, congratulations you had your little lesson for the day. also a lil a/n: my own kitty, joey, happens to have FIV, the feline version of AIDS. he lives not a longer nor healthier life than my other cats, but sometimes a happier. he's still an energetic loving little ball of fur and i couldn't love him any more. hi from joey

 hi from joey