I. Return to Small Town Life.

Chapter One: Return to Small Town Life.
Occurring: After 3x04 Before 3x05.
Set: Mystic Falls.

The train ride from Chicago to Mystic Falls was dull, to say the least. She'd decided to make a stop in between to rest for the night in Pittsburgh to prolong the inevitable, making the first leg of her trip nearly nine and a half hours and the second leg taking over four and a half hours. She'd left early in the morning the next day to get a cab down to Mystic Falls, meaning she returned home to the dreary town around eleven. Frankly, the long journey wasn't worth it. Especially when she knew what was waiting for her.

She sighed as she hefted her suitcase out of the dingy cab - she still wasn't particularly thrilled at the prospect of being home but needs must - she paid the driver with a smile before gazing down at the town from its border. She'd considered having him drive closer but she wanted to take a walk through the town she'd left, see the changes for herself. And well, in preparation for the inevitable fallout, if she was being honest with herself.

She glared down at the sprinkling of buildings with her hand propped on her hips. Rolling her eyes at her own melodramatic thoughts, she slid her sunglasses onto her nose and ventured down into the town below. It was a foreign experience walking through the streets she'd once explored as a child but now were so different. Growing up in a small town you knew nearly everyone but now she was unrecognisable. A stranger in a crowd of familiars.

The trek through the town square was far shorter than she recalled and all too quickly did she arrive at an all too familiar door. Suddenly, face to face with her past, she froze, palms sweaty from anxiety. She shook herself free of her stupor and rooted through her bag to find her old disused keys.

Disentangling the bunch from her earphones she glared at the singular silver key that glinted in the light. She hadn't ever gotten rid of it and it had taunted her for the last six or so years.

She sighed to herself once more before inserting the key and letting herself in. Standing in the foyer, she looked about herself. Everything was exactly the same but completely different at the same time. Pictures of Elena and Jeremy as they grew up littered the living room reminding her of all the years she had missed.

The few photos of her as a child surprisingly remained but then there hadn't been many, to begin with. And in a small town like this, people would have talked about such an act.

Suddenly footsteps echoed through the empty house. She turned her head in time to see Elena thundering down the stairs - clearly in a rush. The girl hadn't spotted her yet as she rifled through her bag to ensure she had everything.

When Elena finally looked up she froze. There stood an impossible face.

Margaret smirked, the facade she wore so well after all this time, firmly in place.

"Hey, sis." She greeted, leaning back against the now-closed front door and effectively trapping Elena in this unwanted conversation. They had to do it sooner or later, so why not get it out of the way.

Elena managed to get her legs working again and she continued her descent down the stairs, much slower now, before coming to stand in front of her twin.

"Margaret? What are you doing here?" Her voice was full of confusion as she scanned her younger sister.

Margaret shrugged, pushing herself off of the door she walked towards the photos of her siblings, keeping her arms crossed and her back to Elena as she thought.

"I hear mommy and daddy dearest are dead? Which means no one to pay for my tuition, hence my being back here." She whirled around to face her sister once the words left her mouth, intrigued by Elena's possible reaction. Margaret's tone gave no indication as to her thoughts about their parents' untimely death.