IV. Relationship Problems

Chapter Four: Relationship Problems.
Occurring: 3x06 - Smells Like Teen Spirit.
Set: Mystic Falls High School.

Maya woke to the shrill tones of her alarm clock the next morning. Grumbling, she slammed one tanned hand atop its plastic surface effectively shutting off the noise. She burrowed under the covers intent on relishing in their warmth for a few seconds more, not quite ready to face the first day of senior year.

Taking a deep breath, she forced herself out from underneath the covers and stumbled into the bathroom. A hot shower and a change of clothes later her outlook hadn't changed. She was still mentally debating the likelihood of surviving the rest of senior year if she missed the first day, Caroline got very tetchy about milestones and that sort of thing.

Shutting down that train of thought, she made her way downstairs, hopefully, coffee could fix her maudlin mood. Jeremy stumbled down the stairs bleary-eyed as she sipped at her coffee.

"'Lena not up yet?" He mumbled, voice still croaky from sleep.

She shook her head.

"She's not here, I heard her head out early this morning."

"Oh." Was all the response she received from Jeremy who clearly seemed to think their sister's behaviour was equally odd.

Maya nodded in agreement to his unspoken confusion as she rinsed out her now empty mug.

"Do you need a lift?" She asked instead of acknowledging their sister's behaviour.

"Uh yeah, that would be great."

"Cool. Be ready in twenty minutes."

He sent a mock salute her way causing her to chuckle as she jogged back up the stairs.

Grabbing her make-up bag she headed back into the bathroom. Grabbing her hairdryer she quickly dried her hair as she waited for her curling wand to heat up. Once it was ready she loosely curled her hair before moving onto her make-up, opting for a natural look. The monotony and familiarity of her routine afforded her a few precious moments of calm in which she could ignore her swirling thoughts.

Once satisfied she went to grab her heeled combat boots to slip on. She grabbed her bag off her desk and quickly filled it with textbooks and stationery for the day.

She glanced at her outfit once more in the mirror, ensuring everything was in place. She'd opted for grey shorts and a black lace crop top for the day, the heat of summer having not yet released Mystic Falls from her grasp.

Nodding once at her reflection in silent affirmation to herself that she could do this, she headed out to her car to wait for Jeremy.

When Jeremy joined her in the car moments later looking just as enthused about the new school as she did, she couldn't but smirk.

"Ready for another year of hell, Jer?" She teased.

He chuckled, "As ready as I can be."

"That's the spirit." She laughed as she started the car and peeled out of their driveway.

One way or another she was sure today was going to make for an interesting school year, whether they got a say in it or not.

- x -

The two Gilbert said their goodbyes at the car before heading in separate directions. Due to her late admission, her locker was on the opposite side of the school to the rest of her friends. So by the time she had traded her bag for her first period books, Caroline had already plastered flyers for the back to school bonfire on several notice boards.