VII. Homecoming of the Backstabbers.

Chapter Seven: Homecoming of the Backstabbers.
Occurring: 3x09 - Homecoming.
Set: Lockwood Mansion.

Maya was in the process of painting her nails in preparation for homecoming when her phone rang. Accepting the call, she sandwiched the device between her ear and shoulder.

"'Ello." She answered.

"Your bloody sister has dragged me into her plans to kill Nik, just like you said she would. Except now the father I've spent a thousand years running from is lying daggered on the floor."

Rebekah had told her about Elena and the Salvatores plan to lure Klaus back to Mystic Falls. And although she hadn't forgiven her brother, she wasn't about to trust the man that had been hunting her for a thousand years. She wanted Klaus to pay, but not with his life. But she stood a better chance at preventing his death if she knew how it was going to happen, which meant she had to go along with Elena's plan. For now.

"Do I want to know why you're father's daggered? And glad to see you're finding Elena's company as delightful as I ever do. You know I thought you'd sound more... I don't know murdery?"

"Why? Because I just found out my brother's been lying to me about the death of our mother for a thousand years? I want him to suffer but he's still my brother, the only person who's been there for a thousand years. I don't want him to be dead." She sighed heavily down the phone, the sound carrying the weight of a millennium of grief. "Not really."

"I get it. You don't want him to be dead, you just want him to hurt the same way you do."

"Yes." came the soft reply, a far cry from the thousand-year-old vampire princess she'd been told about.

"Hey, I get it, families man. So what do you want me to do? You've got to play along otherwise they'll turn on you too."

"I know but I don't trust your sister not to turn on me anyway, so I want you to make sure she doesn't do anything like stab me in the back."

"Sure, I'll pick you up. I need someone to keep me company at homecoming anyway, what with my sister and friends being caught up in their scheming."

"What, you don't have a date?"

"Nope, been away a while and I've been busy trying to uncover my sister's lies since I got back. No time to find a date. Do you?"

"No," Rebekah answered sharply.

"Well, then that's settled. You're going to go along with 'Lena's stupid plan and I'm gonna save your ass if she turns on you." She paused for a moment, inspecting her nails. "Did I miss anything?"

"No. See you at the dance."

She didn't get the chance to reply as Rebekah had already hung up. Shrugging, she tossed the phone aside and went back to her nails. Looks like it was going to be a homecoming to remember whether she liked it or not.

- x -

Maya popped downstairs for a drink while Elena had a fashion crisis with Bonnie - something about having nothing to wear. Said girl appeared moments later looking frustrated and weary. She gave Maya a weak smile as she poured herself some coffee.

Maya leant back against the counter, propped up by her elbows as she argued with herself about what to say. Deciding to just go for it, she spoke suddenly catching the smaller girl off guard.

"Hey, Bonnie? I know it's none of my business and I've been gone a while and hell you've always been closer with Elena anyway." She let out an awkward chuckle at that, she licked her lips trying to think clearly about what she was trying to say. "And I'm not gonna pretend to know what's going on with the whole Jeremy and Anna thing, but I just want you to know I'm on your side okay? Little brother or not what he did was wrong and he should never have hurt you like that. He should know better.