VI. Enemy of My Friends

Chapter Six: Enemy of My Friends.
Occurring: 3x08 - Ordinary People.
Set: Salvatore Boarding House.

Rage, hurt, grief thrummed in her veins as they molded into one monster hungry for retribution, to be released from its prison and set free on the world. That's all Maya felt as she stormed into the building that had never felt like home.

As the town celebrated the illumination and mourned Tobias' death, Maya's rage found release as her jacket flew into the window, as she tugged at fistfuls of hair and as the small table in the lobby was sent crashing through the living room. She panted as she fought to clear the red haze that had fallen over her in her pain.

A photo shuddered on the fireplace mantel before shattering on the ground. The sound of glass smashing pulled her from the typhoon of emotions that she had unwittingly submerged herself in.

Staring in the direction that the sound had come from, she panted as the red haze set her free. She crept over to the fallen frame. It was a picture of her parents. They were smiling into the camera and for a moment, Maya could pretend that nothing had changed. No one had died and she'd never been sent away.

But in reality she was just as broken as the glass that now surrounded the broken frame.

Letting out a sigh of irritation, she started picking up the broken shards of glass. Disposing of the glass she made a mental note to buy a new frame at some point.

Running a hand through her hair - now knotted from all her tugging - she decided that perhaps it was time for bed. She'd achieve nothing in her current state except more broken valuables.

- x -

Once the ghosts had been dispelled, Elena and Damon met at the boarding house to catch the other up; Elena told Damon about Lexi's detox plan Damon informed her of the cave full of ancient etchings that no vampire could enter but supposedly told of a weapon to kill an Original. Elena promised to see the cave for herself tomorrow before turning to head home, she'd meant what she said to Stefan.

But something was bothering as she stood there in the doorway.

"Damon, she knows."

"Who knows what?" Damon asked, irritated.

"Maya. She was there when Anna and Lexi appeared. She heard me talking about the necklace. She knows about ghosts and possibly vampires too."

She couldn't know, Elena thought to herself, desperation clawing at her throat. She couldn't let her get tangled in all this. It wasn't safe. She wasn't safe.

"Perhaps it's for the best Elena. She was bound to find out eventually." Damon shrugged.

"No Damon! She's my sister. And for some reason she was fortunate enough not to get dragged into this whole hybrid curse mess, I don't want her to get involved now either. If we can just graduate without her knowing she'll be safer." She pleaded.

Damon stared at her. Sure Klaus had skipped town for now, but Stefan was still compelled to report to him it wouldn't be long before Klaus found about the latest pawn he could manipulate. If he was going to go along with this, he wanted Elena to say it outright. Admit what she was taking from her sister by asking.

"What are you suggesting, Elena, that I compel her? Why don't you just come right out and say it?"

Elena just stared back, eyes wide and pleading. She wasn't going to say it but he'd do it anyway. Do it for her.

"Damon, please. Do this for me."

"Fine." He said through gritted teeth, gulping down his bourbon. "Let's go."