𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER NINE( raising hell, part ii )

CHAPTER NINE
( raising hell, part ii )

Isabelle Lightwood, now dressed in a beautiful sparkly silver dress-that Jax had joked to make her look like a walking tinfoil, went up to her brother who was in the weapons room, inspecting his arrows. She pressed her lips into a thin line when she saw her brother's choice of attire and wanted to say something along the lines of 'we're going to a party, not a poetry slam' but decided to kept her mouth shut as she knew it would be of no use anyways. Her brother had zero fashion sense and he's strangely okay with that.

"Pick a weapon. I suggest your whip," he said in a bored manner, not even looking at her as he still didn't take his eyes off his arrows, which were all placed neatly on the table. Isabelle, wanting to grab his attention, took one of the arrows from the table and twirled it around in her hands, "You know, ever since Simon got kidnapped and all, we haven't had the chance to have a brother sister talk."

Alec gave her a weird look, grabbing the arrow from her hands only to place it back down, "We haven't had a brother sister talk in the past eight years. What could we possibly talk abo-"

"I know you like him."

Alec nearly choked on air at her blunt statement. "Izzy, I don't like Jax," he insisted.

"Funny. I never said who," Isabelle smirked.

It didn't take long for Alec to realize his mistake as he cleared his throat awkwardly and avoided looking at her face. His hands fiddled with the edge of his button up shirt, a habit of his whenever he got nervous. "I mean, I just assumed you were talking about him. It's not like I like him just because he's the first person that comes to my mind. Not that I was thinking about him or anything, wait, no-"

She cut off her brother's pathetic attempt at explaining himself with an amused chuckle. "It's okay to like him, you know. He is good looking, nice, funny, and badass-"

This time it was Alec's turn to interrupted her before his face could get any redder. "Okay, okay, he's amazing, I get your point."

"Alec, maybe something good could come out of this whole Valentine coming back thing. You get to meet Jax, and I'm not trying to push you or anything but maybe he's the one that could finally help you get over Jace," Isabelle said softly and reached out to hold his hand, causing Alec to look up from the ground and back at her.

"Tell me, honestly, have you even thought of Jace the whole time you and Jax were hanging out together?" Alec didn't answer directly, but he didn't have to. The look on his face was enough of an answer for Isabelle. Then he let out a deep sigh, releasing his sister's hand as he took a step backward from the table.

"Everything is just so confusing for me, alright? Jax is... well he doesn't even try to be subtle, he's very straightforward about what he wants and I-I don't know what I want. I've never had someone that's actually interested in me. Not to mention the fact that I'm a Shadowhunter and he's a Downworlder or that nobody knows about me being... me being gay. I'm also thinking about Valentine who is actively seeking for the Cup as well as being worried about his threat upon our world. On top of that, we're gonna end up overpaying this warlock who may or may not have the information we need. So no, Izzy, I don't exactly have time to think about Jace."