𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

CHAPTER THREE ( the descent into hell isn't easy, part i )

CHAPTER THREE
( the descent into hell isn't easy, part i )

Like he had expected, the portal brought them to the police station but what they heard next came as a surprise. The two were hidden from view by the stairs and watched as Like talked to Circle members. Apparently Luke had wanted the Mortal Cup for himself all along and he couldn't care less if they were killed.

Jax was almost certain that Luke didn't mean what he said but before he could do anything about it, Clary had dragged him away from the police station. Jax walked behind her in silence, lost in his own thoughts. The rain was pouring down on them, their clothes soaked wet and clung onto their bodies. Clay was crying, stalking away but upon realizing that she had no one left other than Jax, she turned back around to face him.

"What is going on?" Clay half yelled half cried. "I-I just... I don't know what's happening. Last thing I remembered, I was just a normal girl spending her eighteenth birthday and now everything's just so confusing and I-"

She stopped her ramblings and just sobbed as Jax pulled the girl into a comforting hug. She was shaking, either from shock or the cold from the rain and he could hear the vulnerability in her voice when she spoke. She held a fistful of his wet shirt in her hand and buried her face in his chest as she finally let the tears rolled down. Jax slowly pulled away when Clary had calmed down a bit and pushed away the strands of red hair that had fallen on her face. His heart softened upon seeing the smudged mascara and the way her lips trembled ever so slightly.

"Clary I know you're hurting right now and I know you're confused. But all of this will make sense in the end. I promised your mother to keep you safe and I intend to keep that promise. So just trust me on this, okay?"

Clary wanted to say that she couldn't, not when she just saw him turning into a beast and killing a man-or demon, or whatever it is he had called them. But she saw the sincerity in his eyes and so she slowly nodded, agreeing with him. "Can we go home, please?" she asked quietly.

Jax sighed, "I'm not sure we should be going home anytime soon, Clary."

"Why not?" she asked stubbornly. "My mom's in there! She said there are bad people after her, we can't just leave her alone!"

"Clary, I know you want to help her but Jocelyn wants you to be safe and that means when you see danger, you run in the other direction," he retorted.

"I don't care if it puts me in danger. She is my mother and I'm gonna make sure she's alright. You can't stop me, Jax, " she said as she started walking back towards the apartment. "Now you can either go with me or spend the rest of the night out here in the rain all alone, your choice."