Trust

"What was it Declan?!!"

Dec looked at Ant in loss. I have to tell Ant my fear for his and Ali's safety. But then what? What if it put them in more misery? Why can't I act before them? Can't I be brave for once and shut them out for their own safety?

Dec felt his eyes tearing up. He knows he cannot act forever. Even if he does it before Ali, he certainly cannot before Ant, who knew him inside out. They are worrying because of him. By trying to protect them he had hurt them, and himself.
Damn you, Declan!!

The moment he entered the hall and saw Ant in the couch, so sad and lost, he knew he cannot lie to him this time. And now,  Ant is looking at him as if nothing else matters to him in this whole world, than the answer Declan is going to give them.

Ali breaks the uncomfortable silence. "Is it Samuel, Dec?"

Dec doesn't reply
They know. Of course they do

He slowly leans with his back against a cabinet table next to the couch, gives Ali a defeated look and fix his eyes on a very much stone-faced Ant next to him, on the sofa. He had hurt Ant so much.  How can he now confess to them without falling weak in front of them.

Ant catches Dec's inability to voice his fears. He looks at Ali, pleading.
"Ali, Pet.. would you mind going to my room please? I want to have a word with Declan, alone. I will call you once I finish"

Ali realises Ant's concern for Dec. She nods at Ant and gives a peck on Dec's cheek, who held her close. She exits their room , satisfied that Dec is in the safest of hands she could ever leave him with for. He will be alright.

********

Meanwhile in the room, an uncomfortable tension casts upon the two best friends. Dec didn't know what to say. But Ant knew what he wanted to ask. Something that took his thoughts by the time Dec had cried to sleep in his arms.
Something that he was trying to figure out and understand for the past few minutes.

Without lifting his eyes from some imaginary spot on his hands, Ant asks Dec, in a voice that choked with pain and emotions.

"What was missing in my friendship, Declan?"

"When did I fail to keep up your trust?"

" When did I stop being a part of your life?"

TBC