Project: Zeus

At Matt's condominium...

Matt punched the wall, and wasn't too surprised when he withdrawed his hand back from the inside of the wall.

"Easy, Murdock."

"Easy?!  How can you tell me to be 'easy'?" Matt shot back.  "We failed to save Smart's life.  Not only did we prevent the death of a good man, but now the Kingpin's plans can continue swiftly and smoothly."

"I thought Smart's first confrontation with Bullseye was interesting.  According to the police report, Bullseye sneaked past thirty armed guards.  The guards worked for a private security company known as Watchdog.  Now the security firm employs people with some kind of background.  Most of the people who work there are veterans, or have some kind of training in combat," Bruce informed.

"Bullseye is infamous for his skills.  He's a former NSA special operations operative.  I'm sure he's used to sneaking past guards with a military background," Matt replied.

"Yes, but some of the guards were NSA, too.  Now, I'm aware that Bullseye had some training with people after going rouge from the NSA, but some of the guards match Bullseye's skills.  The only way Bullseye could've sneaked past everyone was if he had some kind of edge.  I looked up the bank accounts of some of Smart's employees with a spotty history, and saw that a Mister Jonathan Berns had fifty thousand dollars wired to his account about an hour ago," Bruce stated.  "What I think is: Kingpin paid off Berns to help Bullseye infiltrate Smart Technologies.  After Smart was killed, Fisk rewarded Berns with the cash.  In related news, Fisk just green lighted an old project."

"Do we know what the project is?" Matt asked.

"We do," Bruce stated.  "According to the virus we got from Fisk's laptop, the project is called Zues.  It's essentially a man-made earthquake.  It was first created by rouge members from Smart Technologies.  The corrupt developers were using Smart Technologies' resources to create Zues.  They had the intention to sell it to a private militia in Peru, but the authorities found out about it and closed the project, and arrested the developers."

"I remember that story," Matt recalled.

"Yeah, well, I think Fisk has, too," Bruce replied.  "The reason why the developers couldn't sell the super-weapon was because he couldn't find anything strong enough to power it.  But there's a nuclear reactor at Fisk Industries that maybe can generate enough power for Zues."

"So, Fisk merged companies with Wayne Enterprises to get the proper funding to create the nuclear reactor.  Then, he got Bullseye to kill Smart so he could get his hands on Zues, correct?" Matt inquired.

"That sounds right," Bruce stated.

"What do you think we should do, regarding the super-weapon?" Matt asked.

"I assume that Fisk's men are arming the super-weapon now.  We have to assume that Fisk finished his nuclear reactor.  What he plans to do with the super-weapon, I'm not certain," Bruce added.

Immediately after, his cell phone rang.

"Foggy, now is not the time.  I- what?  Okay, Foggy, I'll check it out," Matt replied, turning off his cell phone, and hitting the power button on his TV remote.

"If the American government does not give me one hundred million dollars by eight o'clock tonight, you can rest assured, there will be no more East Coast of America.  Instructions have been sent to your President, but your fate rests in his hands," Fisk concluded.

Matt turned off the television, saying, "He broadcasted that to spread panic throughout the United States.  Especially, New York," he added.

"I assume that Fisk is keeping his super-weapon at Fisk Industries.  It's the most strategic place to keep it and can be easily defended.  Unless the President calls an airstrike, but I doubt the President wants to do that since he doesn't know how sensitive the super-weapon is," Bruce added.

"But where would Fisk be?  I doubt he wants to be on the Eastern Seaboard, but where else could he be?"

"Perhaps Fisk Industries.  If Wilson Fisk is the man I think he is, he has a contingency for many things.  The Wayne Enterprises in Gotham is built to withstand a nuclear explosion," Bruce stated.  "I doubt in Fisk's case, the building is that strong, but he may have a helicopter or something at Fisk Industries."

"It'll be impossible to infiltrate Fisk Industries.  We can't go in silent because of all his security measures and guards.  He knows we favor the rooftops, and probably will have it covered with snipers.  They'll have every entrance covered."

"Then, we don't go in silent," Bruce smirked.  "I have something we could use; that has been collecting dust for a while."

Half an hour later...

"How long have you had this hidden?" Daredevil asked, sliding into the Batmobile's seat.

"It's original intention was for it to chase Deadshot, should the chase come to the streets, but it never really came to that," Batman stated.

"In case we don't make it back, I just want to say: I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"I realized that you weren't on Fisk's side, and kidnapping your son didn't really help our investigation," Daredevil answered.  "On our way here, I called my friend holding you son, and told him to release Dick.  Your son is on his way to Gotham as we speak," Daredevil stated.

"Well, that was...nice of you," Batman said, awkwardly, continuing to steer the Batmobile to Fisk Industries.  "We'll make it back.  I'm sure you've faced opponents with higher stakes as a Defender."

"If I have, I can't remember," Daredevil chuckled.

The rest of the ride was silent until they were a mile from Fisk Industries.  Gunfire grew louder and louder as the Batmobile got closer to the building.

"Bruce, you're getting awfully close to the building.  Bruce!  Bruce!"

The Batmobile crashed through the building, making a bat-shaped hole on the ground floor wall.  The top of the Batmobile opened with mechanical noises.

"Priority Alpha: Destroy the super-weapon which is most likely at the top floor.  Priority Bravo: Take down the Kingpin.  I'll destroy the super-weapon while you go after Fisk.  If I finish before you, I'll come and assist you," Batman stated.

"Understood," Daredevil replied, stepping out of the Batmobile.  "Let's move out!"