20: Past And Present

If you don't wanna read the A.N. Skip the bold part.

A/N: Hey guys thought I drop a small note. Thanks for everyone who's still reading this. You guys rock. I always love to hear opinions and discussions so feel free to pass them through.

This story became one of my fastest read-garnering books compared to how my other books did when they were at the same phase as this one. And by whopping miles so I'm proud and I'm thankful to all of you giving it a chance. It only gets more intense from here and there's no backing out so read on!

Sitting in the back seat of a car- no. Hiding in the back seat of a car was a bit overwhelming. Especially when it's dad who was driving. He always drives his car alone and I don't know why. He had bodyguards and chauffeurs but he always drove alone.

Also it was dark as hell. And perhaps that I was 14 something old didn't help.

I mean yes I was bright for my age, and yes I was taught how to drive, and how to handle a gun for that matter. I knew all those. But that's not what I wanted to know.

What I really wanted to know was a question that I never got an answer to back then.

Why?

Why was I taught driving at this early age?

Why was I trained to use a gun when kids my age where trained to use a bicycle without the extra wheels?

Why do we have secret rooms in our house?

Why was our house bigger than any house I've ever seen?

A lot of questions swirled in my mind for along time, and they went on much more than that.

I knew we were out of town. It felt different. You can tell you're no longer home even if you can't see outside.

When the cars halted to a stop- yes, cars. Because even though dad was driving a car, he was accompanied by at least 2 others.

I was too scared to reveal myself.

Not scared of dad, on the contrary. But scared of the eerie situation I got myself into. I heard a lot of shuffling outside and my heart beat was rising exponentially.

The first time my heart beat this fast since I learnt of Rose's death a few months ago. I was still devastated over it.

It didn't leave my mind not one second.

A few minutes later, and I couldn't hear any sounds or voices. They faded out as they moved away and into the buildings.

Then I was all alone. At least that's what I thought at first.

I unlocked the car door from the inside and got down slowly and warily. I didn't want dad or any of his people to see me. I would've been in so much trouble.

A few looks around, and a bit of wandering, I learned that I was in a place that I deeply feared.

The Devil's Alley.

Hastily wanting to get back to the car, I started walking towards it until a scream for help shot through the night, slicing the silence filling the atmosphere.

------------------
It was around the break of dawn. I eventually fell asleep, knackered by the events of the day. I was adamant on staying up all night, not to be a creepy vampire or a rich sadist, but to be sure that he was all right and needed nothing. He wasn't good. A shell of a person, and I had no idea what would happen if he woke up in the middle of the night, not in his bed, different room, and have a panic attack right here.