"I hate that despite everything, I'm still looking out for you

"I hate that despite everything, I'm still looking out for you."

NADINE

Bucky tried to convince her to stay outside. Unfortunately, Nadine couldn't stay put. She needed answers, needed to know why Dante wanted to kill her. 

So now she now stood behind the couch, watching Natasha and Fong. They'd placed Dante in one of the lower rooms of the villa and added cameras from their equipment on the plane. On the laptop screen Nadine could see that Natasha held a bucket of water in her hands. She was waiting patiently as Fong finished tying Dante to his chair. He nodded once, stepping back as she threw the water at Dante. He sputtered awake, the water jolting him up and he shook his head around to get his surroundings.

"Good," Natasha said, pulling up a chair right next to Fong, who'd sat down across from Dante. "You're awake."

"Where am I?" he heaved, his brows crinkling as he most likely felt pain from his injuries.

"How are you feeling?" Fong asked calmly. Despite his demeanor, Nadine knew he was hurting. Fong's relationship with the team was built by his first encounter with Dante, thanks to Yuna. Dante's actions hurt him like a father losing a son.

He merely scoffed. "Of course she'd send you two."

"She?" Fong pressed, but he knew who he meant.

"Nadine," he replied, venom laced to her name. "She always has to be in charge of everything."

A punch to the gut would have hurt less.

"Hey," Sam muttered as he turned from his place on the couch and looked up at Nadine, concern written all over his features. Sam had mentioned to her once that he used to hold group sessions, so helping people was in his veins. "Maybe you should go. Fong and Natasha can take care of this."

"No," she said, but she was grateful that he cared. "I need to listen."

"Nadine isn't in charge, Dante," Fong replied.

"But she is, isn't she?"

"Your behavior cannot just be petty jealousy. You are not like that."

There was a small moment of silence as Dante stared at them. Collecting his thoughts, she supposed. But that didn't make the silence and not knowing less excruciating.

"Why would I be jealous of her? She can choke, for all I care," he said eventually. It was getting difficult not to take his words to heart.

"I'm gonna kill him," Bucky muttered, his anger rolling off of him in waves. It was clear that Dante's actions were still fresh on his mind and a part of her couldn't blame him.

"Try it and I will kill you, Soldat," Kaia threatened from the other side of the room. She originally stated that she had no interest watching the interrogation, but it seemed that her curiosity won her over. She made no movements to look at the screen, though.