27

"If it means something to you, fight for it

"If it means something to you, fight for it."

NADINE

Taj escaped, but his arrival to Wakanda was a failure thanks to Steve warning the king to keep an eye on him. They apprehended Taj the second he arrived at the border, so at the very least, whatever mission Taj had been sent to do had been brought to an quick end.

Fast forward a week and they all decided to split up. Sam, Fong, and Emilia stayed at the villa watching Kristina and Dante, while Natasha and Steve went to search for answers in regards to The Bratva and whatever it was they were planning with the sphere. Meanwhile, Nadine, Bucky, and Kaia were searching for said sphere, tracking The Hand's locations in hopes of getting it back. So far, they'd been to two locations, and both had been a failure. The last one almost backfired on them with Kaia almost getting stabbed, if it wasn't for Bucky using Nadine's sniper rifle.

She was finishing up with said rifle when there was a soft knock on the door, followed by Kaia quickly entering the little hotel room, duffle bag in hand.

"How are you?" she asked, her eyes scanning for new injuries. Surprisingly, Nadine had been hit very little during this last mission, unlike Kaia's bandaged forehead.

"I'm fine," Nadine replied, giving her a shrug. The ones she sustained from Dante subsided in it's majority, but the horrible feeling still lingered. She doubted she'll recover from that any time soon.

The French woman nodded once, unconvinced, but not wanting to push it. She liked that about Kaia; the woman knew when to prod for answers, and when to just drop the situation entirely. "I cleaned these up."

Kaia placed the bag on the bed, unzipping it and pulling out a suit. Nadine's suit, the one given to her by SHIELD when she was an agent, the one she'd stuffed into the depths of the armory and didn't plan on wearing again. Until this past week, that was.

Nadine stared at the grey sleeves and red detailing that contrasted with the black, reminiscing the memories that accompanied it. Her last mission before SHIELD's fall had been a simple one. It involved a boy on the run, and she simply helped get him to a safe location with papers and a new home. Fairly simple, easy, and the boy settled quickly into his new life. Nadine couldn't say the same thing about the rest of her life, though.

Throughout her life, she'd played many roles: a daughter, a mercenary, a student, a spy... She'd also been a victim, as she came to realize after she started at SHIELD Academy. It was easy for her to lose herself in the roles and the aliases that came with them; she'd been dubbed chaos bringer, cherry bomb, the wraith. There came a time when she had too many aliases and roles to play. When SHIELD fell, she finally shed all the personas and adopted her final identity: Nadine Madaki, mercenary. And for once, she felt almost complete.