Seventeen

Will felt as the tears began to fall from his tired eyes and for once he made no move to stop them. He reached over to brush the hair from Jem's face all the while struggling not to cringe away from the heat of Jem's fever. Despite his unconscious state Jem would occasionally murmur a few precious words, the knowledge that each word could be his last did nothing to stop Will's tears. They had all known this day would come but not yet. Nobody was prepared for this not even Jem himself. And now they were all paying the price. A message had been sent to the silent city despite the fight Will had put up on Jem's behalf. The brothers had arrived and without a word they had led the way to Jem's room and shut the door behind them. Only Will was allowed to stay as Jem's parabatai. Jem lay still on his bed surrounded by brother Enoch and brother Jeremiah and Will. The brothers burnt ancient runes into his skin as Jem cried in agony, clutching the bedsheets. Tears fell from Will's eyes as held his lovers hand. Jem's eyes were screwed tightly shut in pain but memories of his past life flew through his mind like the view from a train window. Jem had once said to Tessa he would never consider becoming a silent brother but know it seemed it was his only option. That is if he wanted to live, if he wanted to be there for the people he loved. For Will. Brother Enoch drew another rune on his chest and a blinding agony shot through him. His parabatai rune. His bond with Will was breaking. Beside him Will cried in their shared agony and tightened his grip. The real curse of the brotherhood. Losing your ties to people you cared about, becoming emotionless and silent. Jem screamed as more runes were carved into his flesh but more at the pain of losing his parabatai, his Will. And inside his heart was breaking too. Knowing he would never see Will again, it was more than he could take.