8

"You didn't have to do that, you know." Wonpil said glancing over at Dowoon. His attention being drawn to the boy walking beside him. His cheeks red from embarrassment and the cold wind. "I'm used to stuff like that happening, I could've handled it on my own. There was no need to interfere." Wonpil's words came out quiet, barely floating above the sound of the cars rushing by.

"Did you seriously expect me to sit back and watch as that guy harassed you over nothing? Did you honestly think I wasn't going to step in?" Dowoon's voice was laced with anger and worry, still not over what happened almost half an hour ago. "You're really not used to having people care about you, huh?" His question was meant to lighten the mood and tone of the conversation, said more as a joke than anything. However, it did just the opposite for the older boy.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm not used to having people around, you don't have to bring it up." Wonpil's voice cracked slightly as his thoughts began to wander, venturing off. He turned his attention to focus on the sidewalk in front of him, rather than the boy besides him. "You don't have to hang around and care for me, you know?" His voice wavering the longer he spoke. He was unsteady and it was getting worse. The entire situation hitting him like a tidal wave. The fact that he actually had someone defend him was so foreign to Wonpil, he couldn't help but be overwhelmed about it.

Dowoon took a deep breath, trying to figure out a way to calm the boy beside him. "Wonpil, you know, if I didn't care for you or want to get to know you, I wouldn't have put so much effort into talking to you and trying to get to know you." Dowoon paused for a moment, trying to gather his thoughts to put them into words that could make sense. "I want you around and I want to be around you. I care about you and I want to help you. I'll do so as long as you let me care for you, help you, and stick around for more than a few days."

"You can stay as long as you want, just know I've got to warm up to this whole idea of friendship and being cared about and caring for, you know?"

-----

I'm so shitty at updating

but i graduated high school finally!