3

.^^ Caesar ^^

— Teilin —

A branch shook, nearby, and my body froze perfectly still, Magic rippling off my hands in preparation for a simple blasting magic, a rudimentary defense against wild animals.

Captain Feras spoke, before I could see her. "You zap me, and I'll rip your ears off!"

"You surprise me in the woods, I'll fry your heels!" I fired back, relaxing.

She strode out of the bushes, brushing off a few stray leaves. "Fair point. Caesar, Pyre, you have first watch. Canaan, please do something about that smoke." She nodded at my fire.

I blinked and waved a hand, drying the wood in the fire instantly. "Sorry. I wasn't aware we were hiding."

Canaan sat next to me, sighing. "Well, I guess that means I'll relax a bit. My feet are killing me." He groaned, rubbing his stocky ankles.

I held out a small bag of medicinal tea. "Drink the tea from this, you shouldn't have any blisters or soreness tomorrow."

Feras laughed. "Might as well brew a pot... how are you, by the way? You ran 80 miles."

"Halfling..." I reminded her softly, and tossed the tea bag into a small kettle, setting it into the fire, and placing water into it.

The Vanir, Caesar, sneered at me, but kept his tongue in check, and sipped water from a silver flask on his hip.

"You have something to say, Caesar?" Captain Feras asked suddenly, making him jump.

He frowned. "Nothing at all."

"Really? Good. I know full well that you elves have a sense of superiority, and seeing as you can't humble yourself, I've taken the task of doing it for you. Don't test me." She snapped, and laid down on the log to my left.

"Uhm... you realize there's an actual bed? Go to sleep." Gale pointed a thumb at the camouflaged bag in the tree, and pulled his little skewer of tree-rat out of the fire.

"Waiting for that tea." She chuckled.

I nodded and withdrew my kettle, pouring everyone a small cup. Caesar didn't even look at his, but I ignored him. I was used to Elves hating everyone that wasn't themselves, anyway.

Once everyone tolerant had drank the tea, we entered the bag, leaving the two on watch, and I showed them to the sleeping quarters.

Tam shook me awake, twice, then got annoyed, and poked my ribs sharply.

I yelped, sitting up, and she giggled while I glared at her. "What is it?" I asked.

"Your Companions are eating food. They will be going soon. The Elf has tried and failed to use the Amulet, and is very rude." She said crisply, leaning back in an imaginary chair.

"I expect nothing less from an Elfin Battlemage." I grumbled, and stood, dressing in my climbing gear on an odd instinct. The Amulet was hanging on my doorknob, so I strung it around my neck, under my leather jacket-armor, and scarfed down the breakfast that Tam brought me.

Slinging a few hundred feet of climbing rope around my shoulders, as well as rock anchors and a hammer, I finished getting ready, and walked outside.

Gale looked up in sync with Pyre, and the others followed. "Oh look, the sleeping mutt awakens." Caesar muttered, stabbing the coals of the fire.

Feras smacked his skull soundly, and then looked at me. "You ready to go? Try to stick with us this time, eh?"

"Probably not going to happen. I have a feeling I'm going to be climbing up a cliff soon, or maybe down one, so you'll have to follow with the others. I'm sure Gale's signs are good." I placed my bag on my hip, then took out the Amulet.