10

.^^ the Party and River Tavern^^

— Teilin —

The spear I was using to push us away from the ravine walls was thin, Elven made, and too fragile, for my use. Caesar had managed to break his, to his embarrassment, but it was fixed soon after.

Mother seemed to enjoy embarrassing him, though her actual purpose, and reason for doing so, was still a mystery to me.

The sun was starting to peak over the horizon, and she'd begun searching for a village, though I just kept steering forward. When the first of the Beasts in the Ravine started to wake, my aura sent them skittering back into their caves, much to her surprise.

"You've been studying..." she smiled.

"I've been using my gift more and more, lately. It seems to strengthen with use. Caesar, add your aura to the pile. The others won't be so easy to scare." I looked sidelong at him.

He nodded, and let his own aura, only slightly bigger than mine, spill out, suffocating the air around us, and the beasts that breathed it fled, as far away as possible.

Feras and Canaan poled the boat while we warned off any potential threats, and Thiamin took a turn at the tiller.

My bow came into my hand on an instinct, so I drew an arrow halfway, looking for the threat. Caesar saw, and seemed to trust my instincts, as a ball of fire made itself on his palm. I scanned the ravine for the threat again, finding no caves, then flinched when the direction became clear.

"HOLD ON!" I yelled, and lifted the boat with Magic, throwing us into the air, just as a River Betty, a giant water-snake, came from under us, jaws snapping shut with a final 'Crack!'.

Four arrows, a fireball, and a massive rock slammed into it, and it hissed, diving under the waves again as I smoothed our landing back onto the water's surface.

"When did River Betty's reach this portion of the river? Their migration took them south, right?" I asked mother.

She nodded. "Most unusual... how shall we kill it?"

"I've got it, but Caesar will need to throw the boat this time. I can't." I looked at him.

He nodded. "Even the best of Mages would've needed some preparation for that. Impressive, for a Halfling."

I grinned, when Feras swatted Him. "Aww, I think he's starting to warm up to me! Get ready. These things heal fast... and where did you get a boulder?" I looked at Thiamin.

He grinned and showed me the pouch on his hip, a tiny, one-Pocket version of my own. "Papa made It for my 15th!!!"

"And you filled it... with rocks." I sighed.

"Yep."

The boat threw itself, just as the snake rose its head again, but before I could kill it, Gwynn flew out of the bag, Tam on his back, and snatched the snake, three times his size, at least, and landed on top of the canyon, tearing into the new, exotic meal.

I placed my face into my hand. "That bird cares not one bit for his own safety... needless to say, that's the source of the secrecy on my mission, friends, and you may not report it or speak of it. Thiamin, that means you."

He grinned. "Secrets are for cowards! I met a ROC!!!"

I groaned, and sat down. "Well, we need to stop here, so he can eat. That will take him a bit, then he'll want to stretch his wings. TAM!" I barked. She flitted into the bag swiftly, giggling mischievously.