6

.^^ An Elder Roc ^^

— Teilin —

Feeding the baby Roc was a full-time job. Even though he didn't go through the tiny stage where he had to be fed minced food, like a normal bird, he ate the same amount as his mother, who was 200x his size and age, but he ate that amount every six hours, whereas she ate once a day, at the most, which was triple her normal, after a few weeks of starving herself.

In the course of twelve hours, he devoured 1200 pounds of beef, 600 pounds of venison, and several dozen 10lb piglets. (By accident.)

By that time, Feras had decided to visit.

I met her in the library, and sighed, sitting down with my bones creaking painfully. Even my own endurance was being tested, feeding that bird.

She raised an eyebrow. "All the running catching up to you?"

"Yeah... Yeah... anyway, it turns out the Elders here need me on loan for a while, translating stuff, and that was the original reason I was chosen, that and speaking to the Roc... so you'll have to go home without me." I sighed.

She blinked slowly, processing, and then sat next to me in the other chair. "Why do you feel the need to lie to me? If you're not allowed to tell the truth, I'd prefer that, instead of a lie."

I sighed again, cracking my back. "Well, everything I said was true, though I omitted certain details I'm unable to share at this time."

She nodded seriously. "Understood... I'll return to Fort Styx, resume command, and provide any support you ask for. You've done well, Teilin. I'll give the report to your family myself."

"Thank you." I nodded.

"But Gale is staying with you. That is non-negotiable. Until you set foot back on land, at my Fort, you will have a Velentr with you." She shook her head at my protest, and I paused, thinking about what Joanne had said.

"Wait... actually, I'll need both of them, I just realized. Can they be spared for an indefinite amount of time? I'm sure the Aviation Corps have worked out a Loan System for valuable personal? I mean, you were borrowed from the Machinists, Yeah?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yes, Indeed, and I won't ask any questions. I'm sad to lose both of them, but it won't cripple the base in any way, so I'll allow it. Caesar, Canaan, and I will be leaving at first light. Would you like me to call in Gale and Pyre?"

"Yes, that'd be appreciated. Safe journeys, Captain. We did very well, on this mission. Better by far than they anticipated. I see medals in your future." I teased her gently, remembering her disdain for medals and trophies.

"Useless, metallic Coup." She muttered, the first lines in her usual rant, and then paused. "But it'll be nice, perhaps, to be recognized. We'll see."

The baby Roc cocked its head at Gale and Pyre, turning to view them from different angles. He nipped at their clothes, curious, and they handled it well, moving just enough so he didn't catch skin.

"So this was the true purpose of our mission? A baby Thunderbird?" Gale asked quietly, resting his palm on the birds head, then snatching it away when the bird squealed at him, annoyed.

I pet the Roc's trailing feathers, (growing in already, through the downy,) to calm him, and shook my head. "His existence is only now known to the four of us. Zzzackara makes five. It must stay that way, for now, until he is big enough that none would think to take him. A few months, at most, as I'm told."