Special Delivery

November 5th, 2:40 PM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Keel sat in his small apartment, flipping through the journal, when his phone rang. He glanced at the display, and immediately answered. "Hey there, babe! I'm just making a few notes, I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

      The voice on the other end sounded nervous and rushed. "No, don't do that! That's why I called you, to tell you to wait a bit."

      "Jesus Christ, make up my mind, willya? First you need this thing back immediately, 'cause you don't want the big guy to know it was gone, and now you don't. What's the deal?"

      "The big deal is, he just got the chief to okay a press conference on Detective Whitman's murder, and I overheard him telling everybody to toss you out if you showed up, and to arrest you if you gave 'em a problem. And if they found that on you, things would be even worse than they are now. We both know you're not his favorite person, but what the hell did you do to piss him off so bad this time?"

      He paused to consider the question, and then replied "Don't know for sure, I haven't talked to him for weeks. Unless maybe one of the folks I talked to today decided to complain to him. Not like they have anything to bitch about, though. One of 'em cost me a three hundred dollar phone, and the other one decided to be a fuckin' sneak and punch me in the gut."

      "Well, whatever it was, you've pretty much made yourself persona non grata around here for awhile, at least while he's in. So wait until this evening, I'll call you when he leaves. Phil Dietz has a thing at his kids school this afternoon, and I'm covering the first part of his shift , so just come around back, and I'll slip it into the evidence locker."

      "All right, babe, I'll be waiting to hear from you. You'd better get back now, we don't want anybody wondering who you're talking to. Catch ya later!"

      After ending the call, Keel went back to the journal, mumbling "Oh, well. More time for me to check this thing out. But first, pizza."

                                   *********************************************************

      "Yeah, I'd like a medium thick crust barbecue chicken, with peppers and extra cheese. The address is 1185 South Market, apartment seventeen. Oh, yeah, and a bottle of Pepsi."

      The man in the parking lot chuckled, as he listened to the words coming from the device lying on the car seat next to him. "Too bad you're not going to get the chance to enjoy that pizza, Mr. Keel. Unfortunately, you're going to be otherwise occupied."

      He looked around before opening the door, and upon seeing no one nearby, he exited the vehicle. Checking his pockets to be sure he hadn't forgotten anything, he pulled his hat down and entered the run-down building. Approaching Keel's apartment, he paused for a moment, listening, before knocking on the door.

      He was actually surprised when the door immediately opened, but quickly recovered. Even as Keel said "Damn, that was quick!", he surged forward, forcing his way in, and clapping his hand over the blogger's mouth before he could call out.

      "Hello, Mr. Keel. I know I'm not precisely who you were expecting, but we have some unfinished business to take care of. Or more precisely, I do, since you have something that belongs to me, and I'd like it back now."

      As the meaning of the statement dawned on him, Elton Keel recovered himself enough to attempt to struggle with his attacker, but froze when he felt the point of the knife against his Adam's apple. His hand, which rested on top of the intruder's head, slid away, taking his hat along as it did.

      A look of stunned disbelief crossed the lanky redhead's face, and he blurted out "Holy fuck, I know you!"

      "Yes, Elton, I believe you do. Unfortunately for your... professional reputation, you won't be getting the chance to share that knowledge," the other man stated. "Not with anyone."

      He pulled the syringe from his pocket, removing the cap with one quick movement, and plunging the needle into Keel's neck before he could make another attempt to struggle. The powerful drug began to take effect almost instantly, and the intruder maneuvered the limp figure into the dilapidated chair in front of the computer. He then went to lock the door, before returning to stand over the immobilized man.

      Pacing around the room, he mused "What shall we do now, Elton? Any suggestions?" Cocking his head, as though he expected a response, he paused for several seconds, then continued "No? Oh well, no matter. I have a few ideas of my own."

      Elton Keel sat motionless in his chair, watching helplessly as the intruder began rummaging in his kitchen, eventually returning with several items. As he lined them up on the surface of the desk, Keel let out a barely audible whimper when he took note of what was there. He willed himself to get up and run, or, barring that, to shout for help. Neither worked, and he could only whimper again as the man's hand hovered over one of the assorted implements.

      "All right ,  then I guess we'll start with this one," the intruder chuckled . "Something to bring home the point that you should have learned to mind your own business." And picking up the poultry shears , he set to work.

                              *************************************************************

8:00 PM 

      The Volkswagen pulled into an empty parking spot, and the petite Latina practically leapt from the vehicle , slamming the door more forcefully than was actually necessary. Walking rapidly toward the building, she muttered under her breath "What the hell is he up to, anyway?"

      Reaching the door of the apartment , she knocked sharply, and stepped back in surprise when the door swung open slightly. "What the hell is going on, El? I thought you were gonna bring it back before I left work."

      She entered the apartment, and saw Keel sitting in front of the computer, which was showing only the screensaver. Realizing that he wouldn't continue to sit in front of an essentially blank screen, she began to feel uneasy, and pulled out her phone .

      A deep male voice boomed out of the speaker. "911, please state the nature of your emergency."

      "Darius, it's Lisa Fernandez. I'm at my friend's apartment, and he's sitting here at his desk , and not responding to me," She recited the address, and he repeated it, to be sure it was correct.

      "All right, I'll dispatch EMS. While we're waiting, can you check to see if he's conscious, or in any distress?"

      "Yeah, sure. I can do that," she replied. She walked around the desk, to get a better view of Elton's face, and immediately regretted the decision. At that point, all of her training deserted her, and she responded instinctively to what was before her.

      Hearing the screams reverberating through the phone, the dispatcher pushed the button on his panel again, and said "I think you'd better get a squad rolling along with that ambulance, sounds like this is gonna be bad."