Radio Silence

Ashley gave his phone a disbelieving stare as his brain tried to process what he'd just heard. "Are you sure about that, C?" he rasped. "Maybe the AC is just making the curtain flutter."

      "I didn't see a fucking flutter, man," CC responded. "What I saw was the outline of a person moving away from the goddamn window. And if it's not you, than either someone wants to surprise you, or you're being burgled."

      "Or both," Briar muttered, as Sanger dashed back to rejoin them.

      He motioned for Ashley to put the call on speaker, and when he did so, Sanger announced, "Okay, I've got cars on the way there, sir, so you might want to vacate the area before they get there."

      Both Ashley and the detective were startled when the drummer replied, "Don't you think I should probably ring the bell before I do that?"

      "What the hell would you want to do that for, dude?!" Ashley exploded. "Are you nuts?!"

      "No, just the opposite," was the answer. "First of all, if Markie or Jazy, or some of your folks, did decide to surprise you, I'm pretty certain you don't want 'em scared shitless by a fuckin' SWAT team busting in unannounced. And second, I'm already in your driveway, and if this is somebody you don't know, they're gonna figure out they've been spotted if I just haul ass without getting out of the car."

      Now nodding his head in agreement, Sanger acknowledged, "You do bring up a good point. All right, go. But just ring the bell, don't try to go inside if no one answers. And if they do, don't go in if it's someone you don't know."

      "Trust me, I don't plan to," CC retorted, and they heard the sound of a car door opening as he spoke. He then proceeded to the front door, keeping the call open, but making it sound as though he was speaking to his girlfriend. They heard the faint sound of the doorbell chiming in the background, then a few seconds later, CC rapped on the door and shouted, "Hey, Ash, didya fall asleep or somethin'? Get your ass up and answer the door!"

      Everyone held their breath as they waited, but no one came to the door, and Ashley let out a relieved sigh as they heard CC's footsteps retreating back to his car. The heard the car door slam shut, and then CC said, "Whoever it is was laying low, so that pretty much lets out anybody you know. I mean, even your relatives that I haven't actually met should know me by sight, so they wouldn't have any reason not to answer." He paused momentarily, and then inquired, "Didn't you say you had your alarm system upgraded after that bomb incident?"

      "Yeah, I sure as hell did!" Ashley exclaimed. "The damn thing should have been going off where people on the next block could hear it, so why wasn't it?"

      Lena Whitman's disabled alarm system flashed through Sanger's mind, but not wanting to worry everyone more than they already were, he simply asked, "Do you keep a key hidden outside somewhere?"

      "Fuck, no! I'm not that stupid!" Ashley responded indignantly.

      "Then who, besides yourself, has access to a key, or your alarm code?"

      Ashley thought for a second, then replied, "The guys, my grandparents in Missouri, and my friend Jazy, who lives in Vegas. My ex-girlfriend may still have a key, I'm not sure, but I do know she doesn't have the new code. And she's still pretty friendly with CC and his chick, so she would've come to the door for him."

      "Okay, everybody, I'm taking off now," CC interrupted. "I think I'd like to get out of here before the action starts. Call me as soon as you can and let me know what's going on. I'll get ahold of the guys as soon as I get home and let 'em know the party's been postponed."